Aleksander (Alex) Czekanski, PhD, MBA
Senior Vice President, CSME
NSERC/Quanser Chair in Design Engineering for Innovation
Director of Centre for Automotive Research
Bergeron Centre for Engineering Excellence Building
11 Arboretum Ln, Room 435D
Toronto, ON, M3J 2S5, Canada
T: 416.736.2100 x 77077
PhD, Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, University of Toronto
MBA, Schulich School of Business, York University
Additive Manufacturing Bioprinting Computational Solid Mechanics Contact Mechanics Elastomers Engineering Education Experimental Solid Mechanics Multi-scale Modeling Topology Optimization
Finite Element Analysis Experimental Mechanics
Dr. A. Czekanski is an Associate Professor at the Department of Mechanical Engineering and NSERC Chair in Design Engineering, York University and founding Director of York Centre for Automotive Research (CAR). Prior to his academic position, he was Engineering Manager of Advanced Engineering Analyses and Materials in a tier-one automotive global part supplier. He also holds an MBA and a Post-Graduate Diploma in Teaching. His research focuses on computational and experimental mechanics, multi-scale modelling, AM, and educational engineering research. He is the recipient of many honours and awards including the prestigious NSERC Gold Medal Doctoral Prize. Presently, he is a President of CEEA and Senior Vice-President of CSME. His extensive industrial and managerial expertise in automotive and consulting engineering will aid in the program management, as will his supervision, mentorship, and teaching skills having trained 90+ HQP. His students received several prestigious awards including the Student’s Governor General’s Gold Medal, the Student’s University-Wide Best Thesis Award, President's University Wide Teaching Assistant Award. Dr. Czekanski received the Faculty Excellence in Graduate Mentorship Award, Faculty Educator of the Year and the President's University Wide Teaching Award. He authored 100 journal/conference articles, received $6M+ external funds and is a Fellow of CSME.
- Somireddy M*, Singh CV and Czekanski A. Mechanical Behaviour of 3D Printed Composite Parts with Short Carbon Fiber Reinforcements, Engineering Failure Analysis, Vol. 107, pp. 1-13 ,2020.
- Gkouti E*, Yenigun B* and Jankowski K and Czekanski A. Transient Effects of Applying and Removing Strain in Viscoelastic Materials, Materials, Accepted, 2020.
- Chaudhry MS* and Czekanski A. Effect of FDM Process Parameter on the Mechanical Performance of Thermoplastic Polyurethane under Quasi-Static and High Strain Rate of Loading, Materials, Published On-line, 2020.
- Somireddy M* and Czekanski A. Influence of 3D Printing Strategy on Mechanical Performance of Parts — Material Extrusion Additive Manufacturing, Materials and Design, Accepted, 2020.
- Czekanski A and Zozulya V*. Vibration Analysis of Nonlocal Beams Using Higher Order Theory and Comparison with Classical Models, Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures, Vol. 27(11), pp. 876-893, 2020.
- Chaudhry MS* and Czekanski A. FE Analysis of Critical Testing Parameters in Kolsky Bar Experiments for Elastomers at High Strain Rate, Materials, Vol 12(23), pp. 1-16, 2019.
- Czekanski A and Zozulya V*. Vibration Analysis of Nonlocal Beams Using Higher Order Theory and Comparison with Classical Models, Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures, Published on-line 2019.
- Agyapong J*, Czekanski A and Boakye-Yiadom S. Effect of Heat Treatment on Microstructural Evolution and Properties of WC-17 Co Alloy Processed by Selective Laser Sintering, Materials Science & Engineering A, Accepted, 2019.
- Czekanski A and Zozulya V*. Dynamics of Vibrating Beams Using First Order Theory Based On Legendre Polynomial Expansion, Archive of Applied Mechanics, 90(4), pp. 789-814, 2019.
- Czekanski A and Zozulya V*. Solution of the 3-D Elastodynamic Contact Problem for a Cracked Body Using the Boundary Integral Equation Method and Constrained Optimization Algorithm, Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements, Vol 106 pp. 599 -608, 2019.
- Somireddy M*, Czekanski A and Singh CV. Experimental Analysis of the Material Behavior of 3D Printed Laminates, Experimental Mechanics, Vol 59(6), pp 871-81, 2019.
- Bonifaz E*, Conde JM and Czekanski A. Determination of Secondary Dendrite Arm Spacing for In738lc Gas-Tungsten-Arc-Welds, Journal of Multiscale Modelling, Vol. 10, pp. 1-11, 2019.
- Czekanski A and Zozulya V*. A High Order Theory for Functionally Graded Shells, Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures, Published on-line, 2018.
- Moraes D* and Czekanski A. Numerical Thermal Analysis on the Powder Effective Thermal Conductivity During Selective Laser Melting, Journal of Manufacturing and Materials Processing, Vol 2, pp 1-17, 2018.
- Czekanski A and Zozulya V*. Comparative Study of Time and Frequency Domain Approaches in Frictional Contact Problem for the I-mode Crack under Harmonic Loading, Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements, Vol 95, pp. 200-214, 2018
- Abdelhamid M* and Czekanski A. Impact of the Lattice Angle on the Effective Properties of the Octet-truss Lattice Structure, Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, Vol 140, 2018.
- Kumar S* and Czekanski A. Roadmap to Sustainable Plastic Additive Manufacturing, Materials Today Communications, Vol 15, pp. 109-113, 2018.
- Somireddy M*, Czekanski A and Singh CV. Development of Constitutive Material Model of 3D Printed Structure via FDM, Materials Today Communications, Vol 15, pp 143-152, 2018.
- Lambe A* and Czekanski A. A Density Field Parametrization for Topology Optimization using Bernstein Elements, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol. 115, pp. 1266-1286, 2018.
- Sigaeva T* and Czekanski A. Finite Bending of a Multilayered Cylindrical Nanosector with Residual Deformations, Mathematics and Mechanics of Solids, Vol. 23(5), pp. 715-726, 2018.
- Bonifaz E*, Alban A. and Czekanski A. Finite Element Analysis of Cylindrical Inclusions in Polycrystalline Nickel Alloys, Journal of Multiscale Modelling, Vol. 9, pp. 1-16, 2018.
- Carrick R* and Czekanski A. A Review of Outcome-Based Education and the Use of Engineering Design Competitions to Improve Underrepresented Attributes, International Journal of Engineering Education, Vol. 33-34, pp. 1180-1188, 2017.
- Kumar S* and Czekanski A. Optimisation of Parameters for SLS of WC-Co, Rapid Prototyping Journal, Vol. 23, pp. 1202-1211, 2017.
- Chaudhry MS*, Czekanski A and Zhu Z. Characterization of Carbon Nanotube Enhanced Interlaminar Fracture Toughness of Woven Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composite, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Vol. 131-132, pp. 480-489, 2017.
- Kumar S* and Czekanski A. Development of Filament using SLS Waste Powder, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 165, pp. 1188-1196, 2017.
- Somireddy M* and Czekanski A. Mechanical Characterization of Additively Manufactured Parts by FE Modeling of Mesostructure, Journal of Manufacturing and Materials Processing, Vol. 1, pp. 1-21, 2017.
- Lambe A* and Czekanski A. Topology Optimization using a Continuous Density Field and Adaptive Mesh Refinement, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol 113, pp. 357-373, 2017.
- Al-Dojayli M and Czekanski A. Integrated Engineering Design Education: Lateral and Vertical Learning, Journal of Integrated Design and Process Science, Vol. 21, pp. 45-59, 2017.
- Sigaeva T* and Czekanski A. Coupling of Surface Effect and Hyperelasticity in a Combined Tension and Torsion of a Circular Cylinder, International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 85-86, pp. 172-179, 2016.
- Li G*, Zhu ZH, Cain J, Newland F and Czekanski A. Libration Control of Bare Electrodynamic Tethers Considering Elastic-Thermal-Electrical Coupling, Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 39, pp. 642-654, 2016.
- Sigaeva T* and Czekanski A. Implementation of Surface Effect in Three Kinds of Pure Bending, International Journal of Nonlinear Mechanics, Vol. 86, pp 112-121, 2016.
- Bonifaz E*, Baus J and Czekanski A. Finite Element Modelling of Dual-Phase Polycrystalline Nickel-Based Alloys, Mechanics of Materials, Vol. 98, pp. 134-141, 2016.
Finite Element Analysis