- What is the difference between requesting an official exam versus an in-class test?
- When can I expect to get confirmation of when and where I am writing my exam/test?
- What do I do if I my booking information does not appear online by the five-day notification period?
- What is the cancellation or no-show policy?
- How do I reschedule a missed exam/test?
- How many days in advance do I need to reschedule?
- What do I do if one of my accommodations includes use of a memory aid? Does the course instructor need to give permission to the Alternate Exam Centre?
- How can I contact alternate exam staff if I have a question or concern?
- What happens if I arrive late to my test or exam?
- What assistive software is available in the Alternate Exam Centres?
- Where can I find information regarding Counselling & Disability Services?
- An official exam is an exam that is scheduled within the sessionís official exam period. For the Summer 2014 academic session there are two examination periods:
- The S1 term Official Exam Period is from Wednesday, June 18 until Friday, June 20, 2014
- The S2 and SU term Official Exam Period is from Wednesday, August 6 until Monday, August 18, 2014
- For the Fall term, in-class finals or mid-term exams are exams/tests that take place during a regularly scheduled class prior to the official exam period. (top)
- You are responsible for checking your Alternate Exam/Test booking information online; please ensure that you check the Booking Confirmation Web site regularly for updates.
- Based on the Alternate Exam/Test requests you submit, booking information will appear online one (1) week prior to the date of the exam/test.
- If you have submitted a request and the booking does not appear less than five business days prior to the date of the exam/test, please call 416-872-YORK (9675).
- To view the list of alternate exam/test requests you have submitted, click here. (top)
What do I do if I my booking information does not appear online one week prior to my test/exam date?
If a booking does not appear on the Booking Confirmation Web site and the date is less than five (5) business days prior to the date of the exam/test:
- View your requests online to ensure you have submitted a request for the specific date and course.
- If you have submitted a request, contact the Alternate Exams/Tests office immediately at 416-872-YORK (9675).
- If you did not submit a request, contact your counsellor to discuss available options. (top)
- It is the student’s responsibility to notify the course instructor of a missed exam/test and request permission to reschedule the missed exam/test.
- If your request to reschedule an exam/test is granted, you must submit a signed Alternate Exam and Test Rescheduling Request Form to Student Client Services a minimum of five business days in advance of the rescheduled exam/test date. Please note that permission to reschedule is at the discretion of the course instructor and is not guaranteed.
Note: The Registrar’s Office will only accept one rescheduling request for any missed exam/test. If you cancel or “do not show” to write the same exam/test for the same course twice, the Registrar’s Office will not accept additional rescheduling requests for this exam/test. In this situation, please consult with your counsellor. (top)
- If there is a medical or disability-related reason that you are unable to write an exam/test on the same day or time as the class, you must contact your course instructor to request permission to reschedule the exam/test.
- If your request to reschedule an exam/test is granted, you must submit a signed Alternate Exam and Test Rescheduling Request Form to the Registrar's Office a minimum of five business days in advance of the exam/test date. Please note that permission to reschedule is at the discretion of the course instructor and is not guaranteed.
Note: If you are requesting to reschedule an exam/test as a Religious Accommodation, ensure you check the box located on the top of the form. Information regarding Religious Observance Policy and Accommodation can be found in the exam section of the Current Students Web site.
- Download the completed form and submit it directly to Student Client Services, Main Floor, Bennett Centre for Student Services or fax it to 416-650-8129. Please ensure that you retain a copy for your records.
If you have been corresponding with your course instructor by e-mail and have confirmation of their approval to reschedule, you may attach or send a copy of the e-mail as an electronic signature from the course instructor.
If you are requesting to write an exam or test on a date that falls after the Faculty deadlines for submission of deferred final grades, you must petition for Deferred Standing through your home Faculty. In this circumstance, do not use the Alternate Exam and Test Rescheduling Request Form.
Example: If you are a Faculty of Fine Arts student, for fall term courses the deadline is April 1, 2013 and for full year courses (fall/winter) the deadline is August 1, 2013. If you are requesting to write an exam/test after these dates, you must submit a Petition for Deferred Standing to the Registrar's Office. Visit the Undergraduate Academic Petitions section of the Registrar's Office Web site for more information. (top)
Since requests to reschedule exams/tests are based on a date determined between the course instructor and the student, you may not always be able to provide the required three (3) weeks notice.
Note: Rescheduling requests must be received by the Registrar’s Office a minimum of five business days in advance of the rescheduled exam/test date. Scheduling is dependant on space availability. (top)
What do I do if one of my accommodations includes use of a memory aid? Does the course instructor need to give permission to the Alternate Exam Centre?
It is your responsibility to get the course instructor’s approval to use any aids during an exam/test.
To avoid any issues when it comes time to write your exam/test, request that the course instructor sign the document or, if you have been corresponding through e-mail, attach a copy of the approval e-mail to the document as confirmation of approval for the Alternate Exam Invigilator.
Note: A copy of all documents used by a student during an exam/test is sent to the course instructor along with the completed exam materials. (top)
You can contact alternate exams staff via:
- Telephone at 416-872-YORK (9675)
- Fax at 416-650-8129
- TTY at 416-736-5660 (top)
- If a student is late for an exam/test, they will not be given extra time.
- If a student arrives more than 30 minutes late, they may not be allowed to take the exam/test at the scheduled time and therefore, must request permission from the course instructor to reschedule. Unavoidable delays are to be discussed with an invigilator.
Note: It is important to arrive on time for your exam/test and bring your YU-card for identification. (top)
The Alternate Exam Centres located in Ross N109, Ross N148 and Ross S176 have the following assistive software:
|Assistive Software||Available Software Version|
Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred
Note: For each alternate test/exam, students are required to provide a compatible voice file and headphones.
|Kurzweil 3000 Professional||13.0|
|Text Help Systems: Read And Write||10.0 Gold|