The Helmut Kallmann / Canadian Association Of Music Libraries Award
The Helmut Kallmann Award for Distinguished Service relating to music libraries and archives in Canada was established in 2000. This citation award is presented by the Canadian Association of Music Libraries, Archives and Documentation Centres. Nominators and nominees may or may not be members of either CAML or its affiliated organization, Canadian University Music Society (CUMS).
The award is named in honour of Dr. Helmut Kallmann, Chief of the Music Division, National Library of Canada from its inception in 1970 to 1987, pioneering Canadian musicologist and co-founder of the Canadian Music Library Association (later to be reconfigured as CAML).
The award is open to librarians, archivists, academics and others who, over the course of their career, have made outstanding contributions in one or more of the following areas relating to music in Canada:
- music librarianship or the archivist profession
- development, preservation and advancement of music libraries and archives
- bibliography, cataloguing, and indexing activities improving access to Canadian resources
- Canadian musicology research and documentation, including outstanding publications, promotion and dissemination activities
Candidates will be assessed on their achievements at either the local, regional or national level.
SUBMISSION OF NOMINATIONS
Nominations must include the following documentation:
- a signed statement by the nominator, outlining the achievements of the nominee as they relate to the above criteria
- other supporting documentation, including the curriculum vitae of the nominee. Letters of referees may also be appended
- full address and contact information for both the nominator and nominee
Nominations will be reviewed by an independent jury of CAML members, appointed by the Board of the Canadian Association of Music Libraries. The call for nominations will be made regularly in time for the award to be presented during a CAML annual meeting/conference. The award need not be presented every year. In addition to considering the nominees, the committee reserves the right to conduct their own investigations and seek out referees for worthy candidates. Self-nominations will not be considered. In the event that a member of the Kallmann Award Committee is nominated, the CAML Board will appoint an alternate CAML member to serve on the Award Committee.
Past Award Winners
Robin Elliott (2012)
Marie-Thérèse Lefebvre (2009)
Kathleen McMorrow (2006)
Elaine Keillor (2004)
Maria Calderisi (2002)
Jane Ann Pearce Baldwin (2000)
Helmut Kallmann receiving the Friend of Canadian Music award from Elizabeth Bihl, Montreal 2006