What are the York Internship Programs?
York's Internship Programs are optional experiential education programs that provide students with the opportunity to engage in a four, eight, twelve or sixteen month internship. While on internship, students are able to apply their classroom learning in a work environment, explore potential career options, and build relationships with colleagues and employers in their field of study.
Who are York Internship Program interns?
3rd year Honours students majoring in the following programs:
Computer Science and Information Technology:
- Innovative skills, fresh ideas and exposure to the latest practices: Students complete three years of academic study that provides a solid base of theory and skills.
- Flexible Hiring: Students are available on a year-round basis beginning in September, January and May for 4, 8, 12 or 16 months. For example, you can hire a student for up to 16 months, or 4 months and then extend the position for up to 16 months.
- Facilitated hiring process: Hiring an intern is easy and the Career Centre is available to assist you each step of the way. We'll coordinate the hiring process for you from free online job postings to interview scheduling and job offers.
- Reduced cost of employee recruitment: An intern is an investment in a potential future employee. The program allows you to assess their knowledge, skills and abilities before a permanent position is offered.
- Financial Incentives: Your organization may be eligible for financial support through the Ontario Co-operative Education Tax Credit, a refundable tax credit equal to 25-30% of eligible expenditures (i.e. up to $3000 for each qualifying work period).
Please note the following for students enrolled in York University, Career Centre Internship Programs: Your organization may be eligible for a Co-operative Education Tax Credit (CETC) after a student has completed a minimum of 8 consecutive months in an internship placement (i.e. your organization would not be eligible for the tax credit if the student completes a 4 month internship or 1 term).
Ready to hire an intern?
Explore this website to learn more about hiring an intern, posting an internship job, our recruitment timelines and the student performance review process. We also welcome you to contact the Internship Coordinator directly for further assistance.
Looking to hire other York students?
The Career Centre offers a variety of programs, services and events to help you customize your recruitment strategy and connect with the students and new graduates you want to reach!