Skip to main content
York Internship Programs

International Students

Another great benefit of our Internship Programs is that international students are eligible to apply.

Before beginning an internship you will be required to obtain a Co-op Work Permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). Once you have been accepted to participate in an Internship Program, the Internship Coordinator will provide you with an official letter of confirmation to accompany your Co-op Work Permit application to CIC.

  • Must I have an internship job offer prior to applying for a Co-op Work Permit? 
    No, as soon as you are registered in an Internship Program you can apply for CIC’s Co-op Work Permit. Your letter from the Internship Coordinator will be considered your “job offer letter”.
  • Can I use my Co-op Work Permit to apply for jobs outside of an approved York Internship Program? 
    No, the Internship Program will be listed as your employer on your work permit; therefore, it will only authorize you to accept jobs affiliated with the Internship Program you are enrolled in.
  • I have an Off-Campus Work Permit, can I use it for an Internship Program position? 
    No, students are required to obtain a Co-op Work Permit to participate in an approved York Internship Program.

To learn about the Co-op Work Permit eligibility criteria, application process and to download the application form, visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

If you need further information and assistance regarding work permits, please contact the Off Campus Work Program Assistant at York International.

Career Centre Recruitment Policies and Disclaimer