Career Exploration Workshops
What can I do with my degree? What do I want to do next? If you have these types of questions, then the Career Exploration series of workshops is a great place to start. These career supports are designed to provide you with the skills to articulate who you are and what you want in the world of work, create opportunities and be more confident about making great career choices — whether it's diving into the world of work or pursuing further education.
Registration on the Career Centre's online system is required for all workshops (you must sign up for an account on the system before you will be able to register for any workshops).
Getting Started: What Can I Do With My Degree? workshopLogin to Register
Are you wondering how your degree may relate to your career direction? This introductory workshop provides an overview of career exploration and is an important starting point for Career Exploration workshops.
- Learn how the skills you are developing in your degree and the experiences you are gaining help build a foundation for your future.
- Identify resources for exploring possible career options.
|Wednesday, December 11, 2013||10:00 – 11:30am|
Who Am I? Self Assessment Game workshopLogin to Register
The Who Am I? Self Assessment Game was uniquely designed by York University's Career Centre to assist you with your career exploration! Play this fun and interactive self-discovery board game where you will gain insights into your desires, interests, abilities, and personality as they relate to career decision making. During this workshop you will also develop a Career Profile to help guide your career exploration.
- Understand important aspects of yourself that can influence the choices you make.
- Feel more empowered and excited about your career direction.
|None scheduled at this time.|
Suit Yourself: Personality and Career Choice workshopLogin to Register
Are you hoping for a career that fits who you are and brings out the best in you? This interactive workshop will give you the opportunity to explore how your personality type can be a factor in finding career satisfaction.
- Learn about the Myers Briggs Type Indicator and estimate which Type you might be.
- Identify aspects of your personality that may influence your career choices along with some possible career ideas.
|1:30 – 4:00pm|
Exploring Career Options for Graduate Students workshopLogin to Register
This workshop is specially designed for Masters and Doctoral level students wondering where their degrees might lead them aside from a career in academia.
- Learn how the skills you are developing in your degree and the experiences you are gaining are building a foundation for your future.
- Identify resources for exploring possible career options outside academia.
|Friday, January 17, 2014||2:00 – 4:00pm|
Making Degree Choices: The "Other People" Factor webinar Login to Register
Do you feel that your career decisions are being influenced by family, cultural or external expectations? Discover how others may be influencing your career choices.
- Learn the ways in which "career" can mean different things to people.
- Gain a better understanding of the relationship between thoughts and feelings and how they play an important role in career exploration.
To participate in a webinar, you will need a computer (with speakers or headphones), internet access, and Adobe Flash Player installed in your browser. You will receive the URL of the webinar in a reminder email after you've registered for the event. On the day of the event, you can login to the webinar and ask your questions via chat.
|None scheduled at this time|
Career Exploration workshops
- Getting Started: What Can I Do With My Degree?
- Who Am I? Self Assessment Game
- Suit Yourself: Personality and Career Choice
- Exploring Career Options for Graduate Students
- Making Degree Choices: The Other People Factor webinar
- Making Career Choices: The Other People Factor Workshop (for York International students)
All Career Centre workshops
- Career Exploration workshops
- Job Search workshops
- Professional Etiquette workshops
- Further Education workshops
What Students Are Saying
Getting Started: What Can I Do With My Degree? workshop: "Very valuable because it made me ask questions of myself that I would not have done on my own, and the answers were revealing."
Who Am I? Self Assessment Game workshop: " The social interaction in small groups was nice. I can move forward with a clearer view on what I value most in the workplace."