The LWCC is sponsored by two main bodies: York University students (via the Student Centre student levy) and CUPE Local 3903 (via financing provided through contract negotiations with the university).
The main objectives that guide development and operation of the LWCC are as follows:
- to determine and address the particular childcare needs of the student and part-time educational workers at York University;
- to act as liaison with parties interested in childcare;
- to develop and maintain a flexible licensed childcare and Resource service;
- to oversee daily management including attending to long-term planning and the establishment of objectives;
- to oversee the security, financial operations and policies of the LWCC;
- to encourage involvement of representatives, particularly parent representatives, in the administration of the Centre.