Email for Staff and Faculty
If required by your department or Faculty to conduct business on behalf of the University using email, York staff and faculty will be given access to a centrally supported yorku.ca email account.
If you are a faculty member you may also be provided with a separate account for course work or research. When you leave the University, the email account will be disabled.
All Lotus Notes email accounts are automatically archived after 365 days.
- York faculty and instructors
- Administrative staff
- Visiting scholars
- The maximum size for an incoming and outgoing message is 15MB.
- Some attachments may be stripped or renamed for security reasons.
- All email accounts have a pre-specified disk size. Size of Email in-boxes are provided below:
Email System Mailbox Capacity Central Mail Email 5 GB Lotus Notes Email* 4.5 GB
*Of the 4.5GB, 500MB is assigned to the Inbox and the remaining 4GB is assigned to archive and store user mail.
- Central Mail users can access either MyMail or another Email application. See a list of email applications.
- Lotus Notes Mail users may also use the Sametime Instant Messaging functionality within the Notes client to chat with other Lotus Notes users.
- UIT applies a spam filter to all faculty and staff email accounts with "@yorku.ca" addresses.
- Email service is available 24 X 7, except during maintenance outages.
- Email is available from anywhere on the Internet.
- There are no charges associated with this service.
How to get support
- Please contact UIT Client Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or ext 55800 (416-736-5800)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Lotus Notes Training offered by the Training and Development unit of the Department of Human Resources & Employee Relations
- Lotus Notes online tutorials
- To request this service, you must have a Passport York account. Use “Manage My Services” to activate your email account.