WASTE MANAGEMENT – 3Rs TIPS
Follow the 3 Rs: always aim to Reduce and Reuse before Recycling. If you can avoid making waste, you won’t have to worry about throwing it away.
You Can Make a Difference!
Here are a few suggestions of how your actions can have a positive impact:
- Share information electronically
- Read the newspaper and online
- Only print what is necessary
- Decline excess packaging, including plastic bags
- Purchase items in bulk
- Say no to junk mail and over circulated publications – Contact the Canadian Direct Marketing Association and ask to have your name deleted from their mailing list
- Use hand dryers, when provided, rather than paper towels
- Double-side any printing and re-use paper before recycling
- Carry a reusable bag for any shopping
- Bring a reusable mug – Check out our Lug-a-Mug program for great discounts!
- Patronize establishments that use china and cutlery, such as: Michelangelo’s, the Grad Lounge, the Absinthe, the Underground, Mangia Mangia Italian Eatery, Falafel Hut Village, Second Cup, or the Executive Dining Room
- Sign up for reusable takeout containers through the Eco-Takeout program at Complex 1 & 2 Cafeterias
- Carry a reusable set of cutlery with you
- Donate used clothing and other items to a reuse centre – Oasis Clothing Bank drop boxes are located at 2 Passy Crescent Residence and at Atkinson Residence (see the Waste Diversion Map for locations)
- Donate plastic shopping bags at the Scott Library for students to use to carry books
- Purchase used text books when available
- If it's made of paper, glass, metal, or plastic it's probably recyclable – To know what goes where, check out our Recycling Program
- Compost Organic Waste by using kitchenette organic waste containers or outdoor organic digesters
- Properly dispose of any Special, Bulk or Other Recyclable Waste
- Only put paper towels and tissues in washroom waste bins – They are collected for recycling. Dispose of all other waste in its appropriate container outside of the washroom.
Want to learn more? Check out these Resources:
Communal Waste Bins:
Contact the Waste Management Supervisor Lorie Thatcher with any specific questions or requests at (416)736-2100 x 77526.