What You Need to Know About Keys
All keys are the property of York University and are not to be copied
When ordering your keys always be aware of what they open
- Change key - all doors have individual change keys
- Sub-master - multiple doors in a specified area within a department
- Department masters - all doors within a department will be operated by this key
What is a department key cabinet?
Many departments have rooms with multiple uses and users. Key cabinets are used to store departmental keys that are distributed and returned in short periods of time. The departments themselves are responsible for the distribution and return of these keys to their key cabinets for future use.
Broken or bent key(s) requiring replacement must be returned to Campus Security. The Key Coordinator contact will be contacted when the key is ready to be picked-up from Campus Security.
Keys may be transferred from one employee to another with the authorization of the appropriate Administrator of the individual department, (Directors, Deans, Chairs, Managers and Supervisors). Notification of transfer of keys must be made to Maintenance.
Lost / Misplaced Key Report Form
This report will detail the circumstances surrounding the loss, and suggest permanent measures to restore security.
Lock changes can take place for several reasons:
- Security issue if a room is broken into or an employees leaves without returning his/her key(s)
- Lost key(s), deciding whether the loss of security is acceptable, or whether all or some of the locks involved must be changed
- Departmental room/building moves
- Revised departmental requirements
Costs associated with the lock changes are the responsibility of the individual department.
Keys will be charged out at $10.00 per key.
Charges for Lock Changes
The labour cost covers 2 hours of service and the material. Cost may vary according to the work that must be completed.
Swipe Card Access
All swipe card access must have a key override incorporated into the installation and be supported by Maintenance.