CSHPS Annual Meeting / SCHPS congrès annuel
The Annual Meeting of the Society is held in conjunction with the Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
2013 Meeting Minutes [PDF]
The Canadian Society for the History and Philosophy of Science (CSHPS) is holding its annual conference as part of the Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences (CFHSS) in Ottawa, Ontario, May 30-June 1, 2015. See Communiqué No 90, Spring/Printemps 2015 for the Programme and Abstracts.
Session 13 should read:
Bradley Zurcher and Nic Fillion, Simon Fraser University
Threshold Concepts in Formal Logic
Dmitry Mordvinov, University of British Columbia
From Breeds to Nations: The Problem of Race in the Russian Empire
Ryan Samaro, University of Bristol
The Principle of Equivalence is a Criterion of Identity
Robert Foley, University of Western Ontario
Flexible Interaction as a Criterion for Consciousness
Michael A. Hunter, University of California
Philosophers Behaving Badly: The systemic failures of "Experimental Philosophy
Call for papers (now closed)
The program committee invites scholars working on the history and philosophy of science to submit abstracts for individual papers or proposals for sessions. Proposals for sessions (3 and 4 paper) are particularly encouraged.
- Meeting languages. The CSHPS is a bilingual society. Individual papers may be given in English or French, but efforts to broaden participation are appreciated (e.g. a presentation in English could be accompanied by a PowerPoint in French, and vice versa). Similarly, sessions can be presented in either English or French, but bilingual sessions are especially welcomed.
- Joint sessions: The CSHPS meeting overlaps with the meeting dates of a number of other member societies of the CFHSS, including the Canadian Historical Association, Canadian Philosophical Association, Canadian Association for the History and Philosophy of Mathematics, Canadian Sociological Association, Women’s and Gender Studies et Recherches Féministes, Canadian Society for the History of Medicine and the Environmental Studies Association of Canada. We welcome proposals for joint sessions with these and other societies. However, no talk will be accepted for presentation at more than one society.
- Number of submissions : Individuals can only submit one abstract for the CSHPS meeting (i.e. either an abstract for an individual paper or and abstract part of a session proposal).
- In order to preserve the anonymity of authors, it is important that contact information and other identifying information be excluded from the file containing the abstract.
- Individual paper submissions should consist of a title, a brief abstract (150-250 words), and—in the accompanying email—the author’s name and contact information.
- Session proposals should consist of a session title, titles and brief abstracts (150-250 words) for each paper, and—in the accompanying email—the names and contact information of the presenters and session organizer.
- Proposals should be in MS Word, pdf, or rtf format.
- Deadline: February 2nd, 2015
- Submission email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Presenters: All presenters must be members of the CSHPS at the time of the meeting. For more information about CSHPS membership, consult: http://www.yorku.ca/cshps1/.
- Student Prize: The CSHPS offers the Richard Hadden Award, a book prize for the best student paper presented at the meeting. To be considered for the award, students should submit a copy of their paper by e-mail five weeks prior to the congress (i.e. March 26, 2015) Details of this prize can be found at: http://www.yorku.ca/cshps1/HaddenPrize.html
- CFHSS: Information about Congress registration and accommodation will be available at the CFHSS website: http://www.fedcan.ca/.
Programme Committee (2014-2015)
Christophe Malaterre (UQAM) email@example.com
Ken Waters (Calgary) firstname.lastname@example.org
Debra Lindsay (University of New Brunswick) email@example.com
Local Arrangements: Mitia Roulx-Beaulne (Ottawa)
Richard Hadden Award
The Richard Hadden Award for best student paper at the CSHPS Annual Meeting.
Given for travel to the CSHPS Annual Meeting - Application.
We encourage donations to the student travel fund. You can donate any amount ($10, $20, or even $100) secure in the knowledge that all proceeds will help students come to the congress to present their work.
Past Meetings of the Society
- May 24-26, 2014, Brock University, St. Catharines, Program
- June 2-4, 2013, Victoria, B.C., Program & Abstracts
- May 27-29, 2012, Wilfrid Laurier University and the University of Waterloo, Program & Abstracts
- May 28-31, 2011, University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, Program & Abstracts
- May 28-31, 2010, Concordia University, Montreal, Program & Abstracts
- May 26-28, 2009, Carleton University, Ottawa, Program & Abstracts
- June 3-5, 2008, University of British Columbia, Program & Abstracts
- May 28-30, 2007, University of Saskatchewan, Program & Abstracts
- May 29-31, 2006, York University, Toronto, Program & Abstracts
- May 29-31, 2005, University of Western Ontario, Program & Abstracts
- August 5-7, 2004, Joint Meeting of CSHPS, BSHS, & HSS in Nova Scotia, Program
- May 30-June 1, 2004, Winnipeg, Program & Abstracts
Hooke, Robert, 1635-1703 / Micrographia: or some physiological descriptions of minute bodies made by magnifying glasses: with observations and inquiries thereupon (MDCLXVII ) Observ. XXX. Of the seeds of poppy, pp. 154-155. Courtesy University of Wisconsin Libraries.