CSHPS Annual Meeting / SCHPS congrès annuel
The 2017 Annual Meeting of the Society will take place in conjunction with the Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences (congress2017.ca). Details to follow.
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS
CSHPS-SCHPS Annual Conference
Toronto, May 27-29, 2017
Proposals due January 20th, 2017
[La version française]
The Canadian Society for the History and Philosophy of Science (CSHPS) is holding its annual conference as part of the Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences in Toronto, Ontario, May 27-30, 2017 (http://www.yorku.ca/cshps1/meeting.html).
The Program Committee invites scholars working on the history and philosophy of science to submit abstracts for individual papers or proposals for sessions (3 and 4 papers). In the year of Canada’s sesquicentennial, we particularly encourage scholars to engage with the theme for Congress 2017 – “From Far & Wide: The Next 150.” Unrelated topics and themes are also welcome.
- Meeting languages: The CSHPS is a bilingual society. Individual papers may be given in English or French, but efforts to broaden participation are appreciated (e.g. a presentation in English could be accompanied by a PowerPoint in French, and vice versa). Similarly, sessions can be presented in either English or French, but bilingual sessions are especially welcomed.
- Joint sessions: The CSHPS meeting overlaps with the meeting dates of a number of other member societies of the CFHSS, including the Canadian Historical Association, Canadian Philosophical Association, Canadian Society for the History and Philosophy of Mathematics, Canadian Sociological Association, Women’s and Gender Studies et Recherches Féministes, and Canadian Society for the History of Medicine. We welcome proposals for joint sessions with these and other societies (please mention this specifically in your session proposal). However, no talk will be accepted for presentation at more than one society.
- Number of submissions: Individuals can only submit one abstract for the CSHPS meeting (i.e. either an abstract for an individual paper or and abstract part of a session proposal).
- In order to preserve the anonymity of authors, it is important that contact information and other identifying information be excluded from the file containing the abstract.
- Individual paper submissions should consist of a title, a brief abstract (150-250 words), a list of keywords, and—in the accompanying email—the author’s name and contact information.
- Session proposals should consist of a session title, titles and brief abstracts (150-250 words) for each paper, a list of keywords, and—in the accompanying email—the names and contact information of the presenters and session organizer.
- Proposals should be in MS Word, pdf, odt or rtf format.
- Deadline: January 20th, 2017
- Submission email address: email@example.com
- Presenters: All presenters must be members of the CSHPS at the time of the meeting. For more information about CSHPS membership, consult: http://www.yorku.ca/cshps1/join.html.
Student Prize: The CSHPS offers the Richard Hadden Award, a book prize for the best student paper presented at the meeting. To be considered for the award, students should submit a copy of their paper by e-mail by May 5, 2017. Details of this prize can be found at:
- CFHSS: Information about Congress registration and accommodation will be available at the CFHSS congress website: http://congress2017.ca.
Program Committee (2016-2017): Delia Gavrus (Winnipeg) Chair, Robert Brain (UBC), François Claveau (Sherbrooke)
Local Arrangements: Jennifer Hubbard (Ryerson)
Stillman Drake Lecture
The Stillman Drake Lecture is delivered at the CSHPS Annual Meeting.
Richard Hadden Award
The Richard Hadden Award for best student paper at the CSHPS Annual Meeting.
Given for travel to the CSHPS Annual Meeting - Application.
We encourage donations to the student travel fund. You can donate any amount ($10, $20, or even $100) secure in the knowledge that all proceeds will help students come to the congress to present their work.
Past Meetings of the Society
- May 28-30, 2016, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, see Communiqué No 93 Spring/Printemps 2016 for the Programme and Abstracts
- May 30-June 1, 2015, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, see Communiqué No 90, Spring/Printemps 2015 for the Programme and Abstracts
- May 24-26, 2014, Brock University, St. Catharines, Program
- June 2-4, 2013, Victoria, B.C., Program & Abstracts & Minutes
- May 27-29, 2012, Wilfrid Laurier University and the University of Waterloo, Program & Abstracts
- May 28-31, 2011, University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, Program & Abstracts
- May 28-31, 2010, Concordia University, Montreal, Program & Abstracts
- May 26-28, 2009, Carleton University, Ottawa, Program & Abstracts
- June 3-5, 2008, University of British Columbia, Program & Abstracts
- May 28-30, 2007, University of Saskatchewan, Program & Abstracts
- May 29-31, 2006, York University, Toronto, Program & Abstracts
- May 29-31, 2005, University of Western Ontario, Program & Abstracts
- August 5-7, 2004, Joint Meeting of CSHPS, BSHS, & HSS in Nova Scotia, Program
- May 30-June 1, 2004, Winnipeg, Program & Abstracts
Hooke, Robert, 1635-1703 / Micrographia: or some physiological descriptions of minute bodies made by magnifying glasses: with observations and inquiries thereupon (MDCLXVII ) Observ. XXX. Of the seeds of poppy, pp. 154-155. Courtesy University of Wisconsin Libraries.