- Hebb Award 2003 ( Canqadian Psychological Association)
- Queen Elizabeth II Medal, 2002
- Member of the Order of Canada,2001
- Proctor Medal (Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Washington, D.C.), 2001 .
- NSERC Award of Excellence , 2000
- Foreign Fellow of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Science (Section on Medicine), 1999.
- Spinoza Chair for 1999, Faculty of Medicine, University of Amsterdam.
- Sir John William Dawson Medal of the Royal Society of Canada, 1997.
- Charles F. Prentice Medal, American Academy of Optometry, 1990 .
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada, 1989
- Distinguished Research Professor, York University, 1991
- I.W. Killam Fellow, 1991-92
- I.W. Killam Research Professor, 1978-83
- Medical Research Council of Canada Lecture, 1990
- Max Forman Prize for Medical Research, Dalhousie University, 1983.
- Fellow of the Optical Society of America, 1987.
- Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry, 1991.
- Fellow of the Canadian Psychological Association 1998.
- Ran 100yds. Against Canada, 1955
- Played cricket vs. Sri Lanka & Uganda, 1961
- Imperial College, London University, 1954-58
- King's College, London University, 1958-59
- D.Sc. ( London University, 1974)
- Ph.D. (Physics, Imperial College, London University, 1964)
- M.Sc., D.I.C. (Physics, Technical Optics, Imperial College, London University, 1958)
- B.Sc., A.R.C.S. ( Physics, Imperial College, London University, 1957)
- P.G.C.E. (Education, King's College, London University, 1959)
- NSERC/CAE Industrial Research Professor of Vision and Aviation, 1993-2003
- Professor of Psychology and Biology, York University, 1987 - 2003
- Co-Director, Human Performance in Space Laboratory, Inter-University (York, Toronto, Waterloo) Institute of Space and Terrestrial Science (CRESTech), 1989-2000
- Professor of Ophthalmology, University of Toronto, 1987 - . Cross appointments: Professor Medicine, Biomedical Engineering, Psychology.
- Playfair Clinician Scientist, Playfair Neuroscience Institute 1989-2003
- University of Toronto Neuroscience Programme 1988-
- Staff Scientist, Toronto Western Hospital 1988-
- Visiting Professor, Department of Medical Physics and Interuniversity Eye Institute., Amsterdam, 1985
- State of N. Jersey Univ. Research Professor of Engineering, Rutgers University, 1985-86
- Director, Centre for Research in Vision and Hearing, Faculty of Medicine, Dalhousie University, 1978-87
- Professor of Psychology, Dalhousie University, 1976-80
- Professor of Ophthalmology, Dalhousie University, 1980-87
- Professor of Medicine, Dalhousie University, 1984-87
- Professor of Otolaryngology, Dalhousie University, 1980-84
- Professor of Physiology, Dalhousie University, 1980-84
- Associate Professor of Medicine, Dalhousie University, 1978-84
- Consultant in Medical Physics, Camp Hill Hospital, 1979-87
- Reader, Research Department of Communication and Neuroscience, University of Keele, England, 1973-75
- Senior Research Fellow, Research Department of Communication and Neuroscience, University of Keele, 1965-73
- Honorary Appointment to Birmingham Regional Hospital Board, 1968-75
- Lecturer in Physics, University of London, 1960-65
Scientific Advisory Committees:
- NSERC Circle, 2002-present
- Staecie Prize panel (NRC Canada) 1993-1995
- National Eye Institute (National Institutes of Health USA.) Member of Vision A and B grants review panels.
- National Eye Institute (National Institutes of Health USA ). Review Panel member, Multi Centre Amblyopia Assessment Panel 1988.
- National Eye Institute (National Institutes of Health, USA) Sensory and Motor Disorders panel drafting the NEI 5-year Ophthalmology and Vision Plan for 1983-87.
- National Research Council (USA) steering committee on visual simulation in flight training, 1979.
- Advisory panel on visual test indications for cataract surgery, American Academy of Ophthalmology, 1990 & 1992
- Poser Committee, convened by NIH and MS Society to re-define the diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis, 1982.
- Faculty of Medicine Research Committee, Dalhousie University, 1980-84.
- Research Planning Committee, Dalhousie University Medical School
- Ethical Committee, Halifax Infirmary, 1980-84.
- Member-at-large, Optical Society of America Committee for Vision and Physiological Optics, 1982-85
- 1970-75 Consultant and Inventor's Contract with Wilkinson-Graviner group of companies, to invent paramedical instrumentation in visual and other diseases, aviation electronics and fire warning and fire-extinguishing devices.
- 1880-86 Consultant and inventors contract with Westinghouse Electric Corp, chiefly on visual factors in industrial safety and paramedical instrumentation
Editorial Boards of Scientific Journals:
- Vision Research (to 2003)
- Spatial Vision
- Ophthalmic & Physiological Optics
- Clinical Vision Research
- Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology (to 1983)
Download the entire C.V.