Department Handbook: Design
General Info: Programs & Options | Degree Requirements | Grading & Academic Standards | Academic Honesty | Important Dates | Scholarships Awards & Bursaries | Student Resources | Winters College | Personal Property & Security | Contact Information
Design Department Specific Info: Mission | Program Requirements | 1st Year | 2nd Year | 3rd Year | 4th Year | Supplementary Year Program | Certificates | Course Descriptions | Timetable Planner | Worksheets | Fees | Program Policies | Computing | Campus Locations |
Supplementary Year Program
The Supplementary Year Program allows students, whose life circumstances prevent them from finishing their Bachelor of Design Honours degree in four years, to take a reduced load / reduced fee fifth year of study.This Supplementary Year is defined as an academic year including the Fall, Winter, and Summer terms.
Students are expected to complete the BDes Honours requirements by the end of this Supplementary Year Program. Students are expected to enrol in YSDN 4104 3.0 Professional Aspects of Design and YSDN 4004 6.0 Design Workshop as part of the credits in this supplementary year – as these courses can only be taken in one’s graduating year.
- Any applicant must have completed four full years in the Design Program, or the equivalency of four years through advanced standing status (at least24credits), in order to be eligible for this program.
- The applicant needs 18 credits or less to graduate and makes a formal application by April 30, 2008.
- Only the required number of credits needed to graduate may be taken in the Supplementary Year.
- Students, needing 18credits or less to graduate after the equivalent of three years of post-secondary education are not eligible for the Supplementary Year Program.
- Students entering their fifth year and needing more than 18 credits are required to pay the full program fee.
The Supplementary Year Program becomes an active option only when a student has applied and been formally approved by the Department of Design and the Faculty of Fine Arts, Office of the Dean. Eligible students in such circumstances must formally apply in writing to the York/Sheridan Program in Design Executive Committee. Application forms are available from the Department of Design in 4008 TEL.