Clinical Developmental Psychology Program
York University’s Clinical Developmental Psychology Program is one of seven areas of specialization in Canada’s largest graduate program in psychology. The Clinical Developmental Psychology Program is accredited by the Canadian Psychological Association (CPA; date of last accreditation was 2009). The main objective of the Program is to train graduate students to meet the requirements for registration as psychologists and to work as psychologists in clinical, school, academic, and research positions. The goal of the Program is to train skilled and ethical professionals who demonstrate competence in the areas of interpersonal relationships, assessment and evaluation, intervention and consultation, and research. Students are trained to conceptualize disorders of childhood and adolescence from both clinical and developmental perspectives.
The mission of the Clinical Developmental Psychology Program is to prepare graduate students for professional practice as clinical psychologists in community, hospital, academic, and research settings. Following a training philosophy based in the scientist-practitioner model, the research, teaching, and clinical components of the program incorporate theoretical, empirical, and applied knowledge and skills. In adhering to the highest standards of professionalism, graduates of the Program are trained to help children, adolescents, and their families who are in need of various psychological services.
• Scientist-practitioner based training in clinical psychology, designed to meet the rigorous accreditation standards set by the Canadian Psychological Association
• Opportunities to be involved in cutting-edge research through conducting and publishing independent and collaborative studies
• Opportunities for interdisciplinary research training across seven areas of specialization in psychology
• Exposure to teaching and supervision by distinguished faculty committed to the pursuit of excellence in research and student development
• Clinical training opportunities in the newly opened, state-of-the-art clinic integrated into the Program
• Access to diverse practicum placements in prominent community mental health agencies, renowned hospitals, and school boards across the Greater Toronto Area