The back-to-work-protocol in the ratified CUPE 3903 collective agreements provides that “The Employer agrees that all employees who, at the time of the strike, were enrolled as graduate students at the University shall be given an academic extension of their Masters or PhD program of one term. In addition, any member may ask to have an additional three months grace period at the end of her graduate program to complete her degree if she can show that the strike affected her ability to complete all her degree requirements within the required time period. This request shall not be unreasonably denied by FGS.”
The Faculty of Graduate Studies will implement these provisions for all graduate students who were registered as active in the Fall 08 term as follows.
- The protocol provisions will apply only to the degree the student was undertaking at the time of the CUPE 3903 Labour Dispute in 2008-09. If the student undertakes a subsequent degree program the protocol provisions will not transfer to the subsequent degree program.
- The academic extension provision will provide one additional term of study to complete the degree program the student was undertaking at the time of the Labour Dispute. The additional term will be granted automatically upon request from the student to their Graduate Program with the following conditions. Graduate Programs will forward the requests to the Faculty of Graduate Studies for confirmation that the student was registered as active during the Fall 08 term. If the student was registered as active for the Fall 08 term, the additional term will be granted in part-time status without petition. Should the student request the additional term be granted in full-time status, a petition for full-time status is required. All students, full-time and part-time, must be registered for the additional term.
- If the student requests an additional term under the academic extension provision to complete degree requirements, but only requires three months, no fees will be required. If the student requires more than three months to complete the degree requirements under the academic extension provision, fees for the full term will be required.
- Should students require additional time at the end of their program of study, they may petition for the additional three months grace period. Petitions should provide a rationale explaining how the strike affected the student’s ability to complete degree requirements during the required time period. The additional three months grace period provision will follow the additional term of study. If the petition is granted, the student will be required to register, but will not be required to pay fees.
- For students who withdraw, and subsequently return, these provisions will only apply to those who are reinstated. The provisions will not apply to those who are readmitted.
- STUDENTS WHO WERE REGISTERED AS ACTIVE IN THE FALL 08 TERM DURING THE 2008-09 CUPE LABOUR DISRUPTION AND WHO REQUIRE AN EXTENSION TO COMPLETE DEGREE REQUIREMENTS
ACADEMIC EXTENSION – ONE TERM – STUDENTS MUST BE REGISTERED FOR THE ADDITIONAL TERM
- GRACE PERIOD – THREE MONTHS – AT END OF PROGRAM OF STUDY AND FOLLOWING THE ACADEMIC EXTENSION GRANTED IN SECTION 1. – STUDENTS MUST BE REGISTERED DURING THE GRACE PERIOD
* NOTE: Students will be required to pay fees for the minimum completion time for their program of study.
Questions? Please direct your questions to Heather Moore, Manager, Student Affairs, Faculty of Graduate Studies, e-mail: email@example.com