At York University, we value the contribution of our master’s and doctoral students. We also know that academic achievement doesn’t just happen. It takes hard work, perseverance and support.
York offers competitive funding to excellent full-time students accepted into our graduate programs.
Sources for this funding include awards, scholarships, bursaries, teaching assistantships, research assistantships, graduate assistantships, and York Graduate Scholarships for our top-ranked students.
We also encourage and support students in their applications for prestigious external provincial and national awards. Our students have been awarded, among other notable scholarships, many Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships, each worth $50,000 and renewable for up to three years.
Together with additional York awards and funding, external scholarships are a measure of academic excellence, and they allow students the time to focus on their research and make progress in their studies.
York’s awards for graduate students
York offers a range of awards for incoming and continuing students, including:
- The Elia Scholars Program is York University’s most prestigious graduate award for incoming domestic or international doctoral students.
- Graduate Fellowships for Academic Distinction (GFAD) are scholarships awarded to incoming doctoral or master’s students with high potential for future leadership in international affairs.
- Fellowships include a scholarship, a research assistantship and all tuition fees.
- The Paavo and Aino Lukkari Awards and Fellowship support graduate students engaged in research on human rights and social justice issues related to the situation of indigenous people and people of African descent in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- The Susan Crocker and John Hunkin Award and Scholarship provide valuable support for graduate students pursuing studies in Fine Arts programs.
- The Lewis and Bennett Graduate Scholarship in Environmental Sustainability has been established to attract top candidates in sustainability research to York University.
- Enbridge Graduate Awards are awarded to students working in the areas of conservation, renewable resources, climate change, and environmental engineering across York’s graduate programs.
The Office of the Dean, Graduate Studies offers information sessions and workshops to assist you with applications to external agencies multiple times each year.
Click to enlarge chart
The Faculty of Graduate Studies wishes you success in meeting the financial demands of graduate education. When you need help with these processes, see your graduate program assistant as soon as possible.
This page is under development as part of our website modernization project