Facilities & Resources
Sociology Study Rooms/Student Mailboxes
- The Sociology Common Room (2101 Vari Hall) and the Ernest Lilienstein Library (2094 Vari Hall) are open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on weekdays. Each room provides a setting where students can relax with friends.
- The YSGA reception room is located in Room 2071 Vari Hall. Student mailboxes are housed in this same office, where memos, notices, and mail can be received. If unable to come in during office hours, please see the staff in 2060 Vari Hall ( 416-736-5015) about access to the mailroom - a $10.00 refundable key deposit is required.
- The graduate student study room is located in 2111 Vari Hall; all students have access to this room 24 hours/day.
- Computers are located in Room 2076 Vari Hall; students have access to a printer in this room, but are charged 5 cents/page.
- Free lockers are available but students must provide their own lock and let the staff in 2060 Vari Hall know which locker they are using.
York University boasts some of the best resources and facilities in the country, including numerous libraries and research/resource centres, computing services and production facilities. As well, Toronto is home to a very large film and video industry with numerous support services. Here you’ll find equipment co-ops, studio space, film libraries and more…
This is the largest of York's many libraries. It contains thousands of books, journals, periodicals, and other documents, including a very large collection pertaining to Film & Video and the other Fine Arts.
Scott Library is also home to the Graduate Reading Room, a quiet study space for graduate students.
Other libraries at York include Steacie Science, Archives and Special Collections, Law, Administrative Studies/Government Documents, and the Nellie Langford Rowell Centre (Women's Studies Library). Inter-university loans, extended loan privileges, and library computing services are just a few of the many library services available to assist students with their research.
Graduate Students' Association (GSA)
The GSA is the representative student organization for the graduate population at York. The GSA has made low-cost extended health coverage available to all graduate students, as well as a number of grants and funds to which graduate students may apply. The GSA represents graduate students at Senate and numerous other Faculty of Graduate Studies committees. The GSA produces a handbook annually which will be available early in the fall term. The handbook contains a wealth of useful information regarding York and the surrounding area. Please visit the GSA Offices at Suite 325, Student Centre Complex.
Email and Computing Services
Students must set up a York email account for all departmental emails. This can be done online.
For more information on labs, software downloads, internet connections and more, please visit the Computing Services Website or stop by the Computing Commons at the William Small Centre.
Centralized Printing for Graduate Students Reigstered in Courses
Graduate students registered in courses can print 3000 free pages per academic year. Students must have a valid Passport York account to access this feature. Please see http://www.library.yorku.ca/ccm/Home/GraduateStudents/computing.
York University Card
The YU Card is York's official photo identification and campus debit card. The YU card will enable you to access services such as the Library, recreation facilities, photocopying, student discounts and more. To find out how to obtain your YU card, please visit http://yucard.info.yorku.ca/ .