The Advanced Standing full- or part-time Master of Social Work program is open to graduates of recognized universities with:
- a BSW or an equivalent honours undergraduate social work degree
- at least a B+ average in the last two years of study
- a minimum of two years of related social work experience (paid and/or voluntary) is preferred (but not required).
Individuals who do not have a BSW, but have completed the first year of a two-year MSW degree (including Practicum) are eligible to apply as well. This first year of MSW work is the basis of admission only and will not count towards credit towards the York MSW.
The two-year MSW program is geared towards applicants with a passion for social work and who currently have:
- an honours degree in another related discipline. Related disciplines may include Sociology, Women's Studies or International Development Studies. We look for candidates with a degree from a recognized university, with a minimum B+ average in the last two years of study.
- successfully completed an undergraduate research methods course.
- They must also have relevant professional, volunteer or personal experiences that demonstrate a commitment to social justice and the potential for social work practice.
A minimum of two years of experience in social work/social justice work (paid and/or voluntary) is preferred (but not required).
All applicants must provide:
Questions about the application process? Please see the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
For more information on what's required please visit the graduate social work admissions page.