MSW > Practice-Based Research PaperThe Research Paper (PRP) - SOWK 6100 3.0 - provides the opportunity for critical and analytic reflection on a topic/issue/problem related to the student's practice experience.
- Expected length: approximately 50 pages
- Builds on discussions, assignments and proposal undertaken in the Practice Research Seminar course.SOWK 5450 3.0
- May involve the collection of empirical and/or secondary data
- Must develop a theoretical perspective
- The paper should include an abstract, introduction, literature review, methodology, findings, discussions, and conclusions. Findings and conclusions should be explored in relation to the advancement of social work theory, social work practice, and future research.
- Supervised and evaluated by the Practice Research Seminar professor
- Also evaluated by a second reader
- Graded on a Pass/Fail basis. If both readers agree on a Pass grade, the student has fulfilled the PRP course requirements. If the readers disagree on the grade, a third reader is selected in accordance with the usual practices of the School of Social Work.
- Students are to hand in 2 final copies to their PRS instructor
- Copyright, Title, and Release forms (if applicable) must be included in this final copy
- The Graduate Program Assistant will return one final copy to the student upon final approval; the second copy is kept in the Graduate Program Office (if no release form) or the Resource Centre (if release form signed).
Human Participants Research ProceduresIf you involve humans in research associated with your completion of the MSW, you are required to complete the following forms. Forms are available in the Graduate Program Assistant's office. Complete the forms in cooperation with your course director.
Graduate Program in Social Work Process for Human Participants Research Form
- Complete the forms and make a copy (2 copies total). Ensure the title for your proposal is indicated on the form. A proposal is not necessarily needed, but please have one prepared in case it is requested.
- Give the forms to your PRS instructor for signature. The PRS instructor will then give the forms (and proposal if required) to the ERC (Ethics Review Committee) for signature.
- Once signatures are obtained, the Graduate Program Assistant will return the original Human Participants Research Form (and your proposal, if applicable). The original forms must be included in your PRP. A copy of your proposal (if applicable) and the forms will be kept in the Graduate Program Office.
All students are required to complete the tutorial, print off the completion certificate, and submit it to the Graduate Program Assistant for inclusion in your student file, prior to completing any ethics forms.