The program assumes that students have prior and extensive knowledge of the field of social work. It will be open to qualified students wishing to pursue advanced scholarly study in the field of social work.
Have completed an MSW with a minimum B+ average. In exceptional cases, a Master’s degree in a related discipline will be considered. In such a case, the applicant must demonstrate extensive experience and knowledge in the social service/social welfare field.
- Provide a statement of interest demonstrating commitment to advanced study in the field and a clear interest in critical perspectives on social work. The statement must include a proposed area of study, potential research questions, theoretical framework, relevant literature and possible approaches to addressing these questions. The statement should be limited to ten pages double spaced, not including references. (submit hard copy)
- Provide a curriculum vitae of your academic and work experience, including education, scholarships or awards, practice experience, research experience, professional activities, conference and/or training presentations, and publications including agency reports. (submit hard copy)
- Provide a sample of professional or academic writing (published and/or unpublished scholarly papers, conference presentations and/or professional reports). (submit hard copy)
- Provide a one page statement on your reasons for selecting York and an indication of which fields of study most relate to your research interests. (submit hard copy)
- Provide three letters of reference, of which at least one should be an academic reference that addresses the candidate’s potential for doctoral level research. (submitted electronically as part of application)
- TWO official sealed copies of transcripts from each
post-secondary institution attended
Applicants will be assessed on the basis of past academic achievement as well as demonstrated or potential capacity for advanced study.
For applicants whose first language is not English, a minimum TOEFL score of 600 (paper based) or 250 (computer based) or YELT score of Band 1 is required.
Questions about the application process? Please see the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
For more information what's required please visit the graduate social work admissions page.