I am currently developing the websites introducing my personal research biography and laboratory (Augmented Urban Space Modeling Lab). Our new websites will be released soon in December 2016.
A few of exciting research positions are now open at my laboratory for talented undergraduate and graduate students and post-doctoral research fellows in the field of photogrammetry, computer vision, machine learning and unmanned vehicle navigation.
- Two PDF positions are currently available, which will start from January 2017: the first position is open in the general field of 3D scene understanding and modeling and the second position is available for UAV navigation, which will be co-supervised by Professor Mozhdeh Shahbazi at University of Calgary. Both positions will start from January 2017 (as early as possible in early 2017) for two years;
- Two PhD positions are open for 2017 who can start his/her PhD projects in the field of machine learning and 3D building reconstruction, either from May 2017 or from September 2017; If you are interested in joining my lab, please contact me (via firstname.lastname@example.org) before the end of February 2017;
- The positions for Master's students in 2017 were filled, but I may have extra rooms for supervising Master's students in an indoor positioing project, starting from September 2017.
- My lab is open for Undergraduate students during the Summer 2017. The research project will be supported through the NSERC. I will post the position announcement soon.
Our new research members will be participated into following projects:
- UAV Navigation (MITACS, NSERC);
- Structure-from-Motion for Vertical Asset Management (NSERC);
- Large-scale Corridor Asset Recognition and Infrastructure Maintenance (MITACS, ORF-RE, NSERC);
- Railway Asset Recognition for Autonomous Railway Navigation Using Mobile Laser Scanner (OCE, NSERC CRD, Thales Railway);
- Stochastic Grammar and Structured Learning for Large-scale Building Modeling (ORF-RE);
- Indoor SLAM and Layout Modeling (NSERC CREATE);
If you are interested in joining our research program, please send your CV, selected publications and reference letters to my email: email@example.com.
- Welcome Kunwoo Park to join our lab as a Master's student, starting from January 1st, 2017. Kunwoo gradated from the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Yonsei University.
- Welcome Dr. Jong-Un Won, a visiting scholar from Korea Rail Research Institute (KRRI) from January 2017 to December 2017.
- Co-organized 1st NSERC CREATE DAV (Data Analytics and Visualization) Workshop, Oct. 5th-8th, 2016.
- Welcome Dr. Ruiju Zhang from Beijing University of Civil Engineering and Architecture, who will be stay as a CSC (China Scholarship Council) visiting scholar at the lab.
- Farewell to Mr. Hokwan Ryu (the Korean Minisitry of Science, ICT and Future Planning) on Oct. 26th, 2016, who have stayed as a visiting lab member from May 2016 to Oct 2016.
- Bruce (Jaewook) Jung's convocation was held on Oct. 19th, 2016.
- Welcome Kang Zhao to join our lab as an exchange undergraduate student from Wuhan University, China.
- Dr. Mozhdeh Shahbazi will start her new academic career as an Assistant Professor at the Department of Geomatics Engineering, University of Calgary since August 15th, 2016.
- Successfully presented four oral presentations and one poster presentation at the ISPRS Congress 2016 in Prague, July 12th-July 19th, 2016.
- Dr. Ki-in Bang will start his new career at the North West Geomatics in Calgary from July 1st, 2016.
- Mozhdeh Shahbazi successfully defended her oral PhD defense examination on June 28th, 2016.
- Bruce (Jaewook) successfully defended his oral PhD defence examination on May 5th, 2016.
- Dr. Sohn received the York Research Leader Award 2015-2016.
Publications (2016 Only)
- Three two papers are currently under review (March. 2017).
- Jung, J., Jwa, Y.and Sohn, G., 2017. Implicit regularizatino for reconstructing 3D building rooftop models using airborne LiDAR data. Sensors, 17(621) (doi:10.3390/s17030621).
- Jwa, Y. and Sohn, G., 2017. Wind adaptive modeling of transmission lines using minimum description length. ISPRS Journal of Photogammetry and Remote Sensing, 125:193-206 (doi: 10.1016/j.isprsjprs.2017.01.013).
- Jung, J. & Chen, L., Sohn, G., Luo, C. and Won, J.W., 2016. Multi-range Conditional Random Field For Classifying Railway Electrification System Objects Using Mobile Laser Scanning Data. Remote Sensing, 8(12):1008 (doi: 10.3390/rs8121008).
- Jung, J., Sohn, G., Bang, K.I., Wichmann, A., Armenakis, C. and Kada, M., 2016. Matching aerial images to 3D building models using context-based geometric hashing. Sensors, 16(6):932 (doi: 10.3390/s16060932).
- Ko, C., Sohn, G., Remmel, T. and Miller, J.R., 2016. Maximizing the diversity of ensemble random forests for tree genera classification using high density LiDAR data. Remote Sensing, 8(8):646 (doi: 10.3390/rs8080646).
- Shahbazi, M., Sohn, G., Théau, J. and Ménard P., 2016. Revisiting intrinsic curves for efficient dense stereo matching. ISPRS Ann. Photogramm. Remote Sens. Spatial Inf. Sci., III-3, 123-130 (doi:10.5194/isprs-annals-III-3-123-2016, 2016).
- Hor, A-H., Jadidi, A. and Sohn, G., 2016. BIM-GIS integrated geospatial information model using semantic web and RDF graphs. ISPRS Ann. Photogramm. Remote Sens. Spatial Inf. Sci., III-4, 73-79 (doi:10.5194/isprs-annals-III-4-73-2016, 2016).
- Jung, J., Bang, K., Sohn, G. and Armenakis C., 2016. Matching aerial images to 3D building models based on context-based geometric hashing. ISPRS Ann. Photogramm. Remote Sens. Spatial Inf. Sci., III-1, 17-23 (doi:10.5194/isprs-annals-III-1-17-2016, 2016).
- Jahromi, A.B. and Sohn, G., 2016. Geometric context and orientation map combination for indoor corridor modeling using a single image. Int. Arch. Photogramm. Remote Sens. Spatial Inf. Sci., XLI-B4, 295-302 (doi:10.5194/isprs-archives-XLI-B4-295-2016, 2016).
- Babacan, K., Jung, J., Wichmann, W., Jahromi, B.A., Shahbazi, M., Sohn, G. and Kada, M., 2016. Towards object driven floor plan extraction from laser point cloud. Int. Arch. Photogramm. Remote Sens. Spatial Inf. Sci., XLI-B3, 3-10 (doi:10.5194/isprs-archives-XLI-B3-3-2016, 2016).
- Dr. Bruce (Jaewook) Jung (Post-doctoral Research Fellow) - Railway network reconstruction using mobile laser scanning data
- Ali Baligh (PhD Candidate) - LayoutSLAM for reconstructing models using monocular video
- Kivanc Babacan (PhD Candidate) - 3D indoor modeling by combining semantic and geometric information using mobile laser scanning data
- Hadi Hor (PhD Candidate) - BIM and GIS integration using RDF graph models
- Adnreas Wichman (PhD Candidate; Co-supervised by Martic Kada, TU Berlin) - Stochastic grammar for large-scale roof model reconstruction using airborne laser point clouds
- Eros Gulo (MSc Candidate) - Wifi-based indoor localization using pedestrian movement smoothness
- Phillip Robbins (MSc Candidate) - 3D model-based localization using geometric hashing and virtual cameras
- Leihan Chen (MSc Candidate) - Multi-range conditional random field for ROW infrastructure object recognition
- Zhao Kang (Undergraduate Student, Wuhan University, China) - Object recognition for active unmanned vehicle navigation
- Kartiketa Bhargava (Undergraduate Student) - UAV navigation
- Dr. Ruiju Zhang (Visiting Scholar, Beijing University of Civil Engineering and Architecture, China) - Integrating BIM and point cloud data
- Dr. Ki-in Bang (PDF) - North West Geomatics, Calgary, Canada
- Dr. Mojgan Jadidi (PDF) - Lecturer, York University, Canada
- Dr. Mozhdeh Shahbazi (PhD, Co-supervised with Dr. Jerome Theau, University of Sherbrook) - Assistant Professor, Univ. of Calgary
- Dr. Bruce (Jaewook) Jung (PhD) - PDF, York University
- Dr. Chao Luo (PhD) - Video game company, Shanghai, China
- Dr. Junjie Zhang (PhD) - PDF, University of Toronto/Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
- Dr. Brian (Heungsik) Kim (PhD, PDF) - Industrial SkyWorks, Toronto
- Dr. Connie Ko (PhD, Co-supervised with Dr. Tarmo Remmel, York University)- York University
- Dr. Yoonseok Jwa (PhD, PDF) - Industrial SkyWorks, Toronto
- Larry Wang (PhD Incomplete) - Weather Network, Mississauga
- Solomon Chan (MSc) - RDP Associate Inc., Toronto
- Ravi Persad (MSc, Co-supervised with Dr. Costas Armenakis, York University) - PhD student, York University
- Yu Gao (MSc, Co-supervised with Dr. Costas Armenakis, York University) - Teledyine-Optech, Toronto
- Dr. Inian Moorthy (PDF, Co-supervised with Dr. John Miller, York University) - International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA), Austria
- Ramu Narayanan (MSc), Microdea Inc.
- Ima Ituen (MSc)
Past Visiting Scholars
- Hokwan Ryu (Visiting Scholar) - Korean Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning, South Korea
- Lena Albert (PhD, Visiting Student) - Leibniz University of Hannover, Germany
- Roman Seidel (MSc, Visiting Student) - Leibniz University of Hannover, Germany
- Tristan Faure (Undergraduate Visiting Student, ENSG, France) - ING, France
- Kivanc Babacan (PhD, Visiting Student) - Istanbul Technology University, Turkey
- Adnreas Wichman (PhD Student) - University of Osnabruck, Germany
- Dr. Liu Yawen (Visiting Scholar) - Wuhan University, China
- Dr. Taejung Kim (Visiting Scholar) - Inha University, South Korea
- Taehoon Lee (PhD Visiting Student) - Inha University, South Korea
- Nakhyun Song (PhD Visiting Student) - Inha University, South Korea