Training in Motivational Interviewing for Health Coaches: Help your clients “Get Unstuck”
‘Get at resistance - replacing it with lasting motivation and behavior change’
“As a health coach I found this course very useful since it provided me with tools and techniques that I can use in one-on-one coaching. I found it very helpful to learn about techniques to use with clients who are resistant to change. The facilitator was excellent; dynamic, passionate and inspiring. ”Melina Ladoceur, Cancer Coach, Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation
How will this workshop help you and your clients?
- Open the door to more effective ways to negotiate change, increase positive outcomes and reduce frustration for your patients/clients and yourself
- “Unstick” clients/patients and build lasting motivation for self-improvement
- Empower clients/patients to accomplish their goals – no matter how challenging they appear
- Be more effective in reducing resistance and building motivation with your colleagues, family and especially yourself!
- Assess organizational needs and improve your programs/practice to support behaviour change.
What you will learn
This workshop is an intensive introduction to Motivational Interviewing with movement to an advanced level of competency in understanding how to implement and sustain Health Behaviour Change for your clients, your programs, and overall practice.
- Achieve Competency in Motivational Interviewing principles and Self-Determination Theory
- Master Skills – demonstrations and role-play with feedback to master techniques and support the use of the tools when you return to your practice
- Assess and improve your Organizational Capacities and Practice to help practitioners and clients/patients sustain behavior change.
This workshop will get at the core of resistance and motivation for sustainable Behaviour Change
Who should take this workshop
- Health Coaches and others working with clients for behaviour change
- Healthcare, Public health, and Allied health professionals
- Health promotion practitioners
- Program leads and program staff
- Non-Profits using behaviour change methods for the people they serve
- Workshop Day 1, full day, on campus
- 2 weeks of “in-practice” time to work with and practice the tools
- Workshop Day 2, full day, on campus
The Workshop fee includes
- “Getting Unstuck” readings and workshop manual – for your continued reference
- Light refreshments
Instructor: Dr. Harvey Skinner, Dean, Faculty of Health, York University
Program Session Dates:
May 9 & 23, 2014
October 10 & 24, 2014
Day 1 - 8:30am -- 4:30pm
Day 2 –9:00am -- 1:00pm
2 day program with 2 weeks “in practice” time:
Price: $ 450.00 plus 13% HST tax for a total of $508.50
Fee includes the workshop, snacks and refreshments.
- Complete the Registration form and
- Fax: (416) 736-5078 or
- Email: email@example.com or
- Mail: registration form to:
Health Leadership & Learning Network
Room 019 HNES Building
4700 Keele Street
Toronto, ON M3J 1P3
Please call: 416-736-2100 x22170 for more information about the program or Group Rates
Keele Campus, York University
Allied Health professionals taking this Workshop may be eligible to receive reimbursement of up to $1500 from the Allied Health Professional Development Fund offered through HealthForce Ontario. Please visit the HealthForce Ontario website for more details http://www.ahpdf.ca/