The Osgoode Certificate in Mental Health Law
Canada's FIRST comprehensive health law program for health care providers.
Across five intensive one-day modules, the fundamental concepts of health law will be delivered by an outstanding faculty comprising lawyers, health care professionals, patient rights' advocates, ethicists, risk managers and insurance industry experts. There will be an emphasis on the practical, and classes will be taught using a blended-delivery method that includes lectures, case studies, class/group discussions, directed readings and guest speakers.
Why You Should Attend
With the increasing intersection between health care delivery and the law, health care providers encounter an ever wider range of legal issues in their day-to-day working lives. Understanding your legal responsibilities and the ability to recognize and manage legal risks have never been more important.
Osgoode's Certificate in Health Law was developed specifically for health care professionals. Over five intensive one-day modules, you will learn what you need to know about contemporary issues in health law from an accomplished faculty of health law experts. Armed with this information, you and your organization will be better positioned to assess risks, make decisions, improve patient care and safety, and take the necessary practical steps to minimize risks.
Key Benefits: What You Will Learn
- Legal obligations in health care - comprehensive overview of the legal framework
- Capacity and consent to treatment
- Refusing treatment and withdrawal of treatment
- Apology legislation and its implication for health care providers
- Malpractice in health care - mock examination for discovery and cross-examination
- Information technology, hospital information sharing agreements and privacy law
- Privacy challenges in the wider health care community
- Collaborative care - problems and pitfalls
- The regulation of health professionals
- Human rights challenges - end of life and human reproductive issues
- Ethical problems in health care - ethics and law
- Risk management - responding effectively to risk in specialty areas
- Audits and safety inspections - what to expect
Who Should Attend
- Physicians, nurses and other licensed medical professionals
- Representatives from hospitals, psychiatric facilities, long-term care facilities, CCACs, and community service provider agencies
- Privacy officers, security officers and compliance officers for health care institutions
- Health care risk managers
- In-house counsel to health care institutions
- Health law practitioners
- Patient representatives
- Government and public policy advisors
April 14, 2015 5 days
Fee Per Delegate: $3295 plus 13% HST
Location: Osgoode Professional Development Centre 1 Dundas St. W., 26th Floor Toronto, ON
Please call 416-736-2100 x22170 for more information about the program.