How Do I Make an Appointment?
- After you hear from the hiring manager that testing is required, submit the online Testing Appointment Request form including times that you could be available for testing and a phone number where we can reach you. Someone will get back to you normally within one business day.
- Do not delay in contacting us to make your appointment. If you don't contact us immediately we may not be able to fit you in before the hiring unit's requested deadline date.
- Be sure to arrive on time to ensure that you'll be able to complete your tests as planned.
- For more information about the test, please refer to our page describing the Computer-Based Job Skills Tests.
How Can I Prepare for Job Skills Tests?
The key to doing well on job skills tests is to prepare as much as possible before you are asked to do testing, when your study opportunities may be limited. Study strategies you may wish to use include:
The guides and exercise files from most of our in-class technical learning courses are available for you to download for independent study. These guides can give you a good idea of what kinds of topics may be on a test.
The online courses in our e-learning system allow you to study from any computer with an internet connection and up-to-date web browser. You don’t even have to own the software you’re studying! The system now includes courses for Microsoft Office versions 2002/XP, 2007 and 2010, as well as a selection of other software packages.
Check the York Employee Learning Calendar website for in-class training sessions offered by a wide variety of organizations on campus. You can browse by organization, by date, or search for a specific topic.
If you need a quiet place to study, contact us at LDTech@yorku.ca to inquire if one of the teaching labs is available for you to drop by.
What Will Happen at the Testing Appointment?
At the appointment:
- Centre staff will advise you about each test you must write, answer any questions you may have, and ask you to sign an acknowledgement form.
- You’ll go into a quiet area to do the tests.
- Someone will be nearby to help if any problems arise while you are writing the tests.
- You can take breaks in between tests.
- You are welcome to bring a drink with you into the testing room.
- At the end of the appointment, we’ll show you the results and answer any questions you may have.
- Finally, we will email the test reports to the hiring unit and copy them to you.
Can I Rewrite a Test?
Once a job skills test has been completed, the results are valid for 12 months. If the same test is requested by another hiring unit within that period, the results will be sent without asking the employee to re‑test.
After a minimum six-month waiting period, an employee may request to be re-tested if he or she has gained new skills through documented training or on the job experience. Re‑testing will not be conducted any sooner than six months after the previous tests were written, and the new test results will replace the previous results of record.
If you have a disability and require accommodations, please contact us at LDTech@yorku.ca.