York University is committed to protecting the personal information we hold. We strive to collect only personal information that is directly related to, and needed for, operating our programs and activities.
Personal information will be used, maintained, disclosed and disposed of in accordance with applicable legislation, policies, agreements, and best practices.
University records that are not subject to statutory privacy rules will be protected in accordance with University policies and agreements.
- Standard notice - collection of personal information
- Units of the University should include the standard notice for collection of personal information as a “footer” on documents whose purpose is to collect non-sensitive personal information.
- Suggested notice - e-mail communications
- The suggested notice for email may help to restrict unauthorized uses or to alert individuals to a recommended course of action if they receive an email in error.
Forms and Guidelines
- Privacy Breach Guidelines and
- Privacy Breach Report Form (fillable form, requires Adobe Reader 8 or later)
- Guidelines, definitions, examples and report form to assist University units in defining and reporting suspected or confirmed privacy breaches to the IPO.
- Photo/video consent forms and guidelines
- Consent forms for use when taking photos of individuals at University events or for publications/websites, etc. For details, consult the accompanying guidelines.
Of Interest to Students
- Reference Check: Is Your Boss Watching? Privacy and Your Facebook Profile
- Wireless communication: safeguarding privacy and security
- Privacy: Informed online choices
- Student Records Policy on Access to Records and Protection of Privacy
Of Interest to Staff and Faculty