Subject: Naming the moment
following is an invitation to all graduate students, staff and faculty
Rm. 306 Lumbers. Feel free to pass this along.
Naming the What?
Naming the Moment is a popular education practice of political analysis for action that locates current struggles within broader contexts in time and
space. Growing from the work of international educators
such as Paulo
who have been engaging in 'Naming the Moment' together. This group
of issues surrounding the strike…
we explored together, as they related to accessible educational
– What are the particular set of actors, events and forces that affect this
current moment and struggle? What is our role and interest as students?
What is the history of post-secondary and graduate education? Where does
York stand in the big picture? Why are there differences in support among
programs within York?
Moving on from that moment, we welcome all those who share the ideals of our
- Zero-debt graduate degree
- Accessibility to education as a right.
- Resisting market-driven vocationalism vs. Conceptualization of education
as critical thinking
- Reclaiming the university -as collegial space for students, staff and
faculty, and growing consciousness
- Maintain links across programs, levels, and units – the ability to act
together in the future.
- Build ongoing critique to name contradictions.
- Create space, time and support for community reflection, support and
- Engender hope and York’s legacy.
Naming for Action!
From this inquiry we moved to action - such as the FES town hall meeting,
welcome back lunch and a cross-listed education course on social movements
On Thursday we will be revisiting our initial questions through analysis,
dialogue, and brainstorming in the large group and in focus group
discussions in order to gain insights and develop strategies for action.
>From there we will move on to continue to work on the actions that came out
of initial inquiry… namely-
- Creating new, innovate course offerings
- Creating an open university / speakers series including non-credit
accessible courses and links among existing initiatives
- Questioning, and planning for alternate suggestions, on where university
pension funds and university endowments are invested
- Creating abstracts for various conferences and publications where we will
be presenting our learning from NTM and the strike
- Possible structural changes in grad studies, FES, ...
- Other ideas welcome!
Hope to see you there!