Supervisions in progress
I am available for MA supervisions, as well as membership on PhD and MA Committees; however, I will not be accepting principal supervision of any new PhD graduate students.
- Danielle Bishop, PhD graduate student, Health Policy and Equity, York University, Experiences of Mothering, Motherhood and Maternal-Health in Kakuma Refugee Camps: Towards a Feminist Geopolitics of Health Equity, Aid and Reproduction in Protracted Humanitarian Spaces.
- Mawahib Ahmed, PhD graduate student, Gender, Sexuality and Women’s Studies, York University, The Women’s Movement in Sudan from Nationalism to Transnationalism: Prospects for a Solidarity Movement
- Tanya Aberman, PhD graduate student, Gender, Sexuality and Women’s Studie, York University.
Self-Deportation in a Sanctuary City.
Member of Doctoral Committees:
- Abetha Mahalingam, PhD graduate student, Gender, Sexuality and Women’s Studies Navigating Risky Terrains: Sri Lankan Tamil Refugee Women’s Experiences of the Refugee Claimant Process and Resettlement in Canada
- Maria Jose YaxFraser, PhD graduate student, Anthropology, York University
- Michelle Switzer, PhD graduate student, Anthropology, York University is working on an ethnographic exploration of competing understandings of the impacts of the pulp and timber industry in Uruguay
- Nayrouz Abu-Hatoum, PhD graduate student, Anthropology, York University Encountering Visualized Borders: The Case of the Separation Wall in Palestine
- Paula Popovici, Ph.D. graduate student, Philosophy Department, York University, Living with violence
- Wangui Kimari, PhD graduate student, Anthropology, York University
- Naoko Ikeda, PhD Dissertation Committee, Women’s Studies
M. A. Principal Supervisions
- Marta Bak, M.A. Graduate Student, Anthropology, MRP Title: Frames of invisibility – the hidden experiences of civilian female partners of Canadian male partners who served in the war in Afghanistan.
- Sandra Chan, M.A. student, Development Studies, York University, MRP Title: Examining the Gender Gap in Refugees’ Access to and Experiences of Higher Education Programs: The Case of the Thai-Burma Border
- Heather Donald, M.A. student, Development Studies, York University, MA Thesis Title: Preparing for Uncertainty: Exploring Access to Higher Education in Dzaleka Refugee Camp, Malawi (defended successfully, May, 2014).
Membership on Committees in progress
- Shimona Hirchberg, M.A. Graduate Student, Anthropology