Provisionally approved June 2011
Examines, formulates, and reviews long-term and short-term academic planning as well as comprehensive policies for the Faculty, including degree and non-degree credit studies.
In discharging its functions the Committee shall:
- In tandem with the Dean and in close consultation with Departments/Schools & Colleges, oversee the development of the Faculty Academic Plan, coordination/implementation of the plan, and report to the Council on activities.
- Make recommendations to the Council on the feasibility of new Schools/Departments, Programs, Research Centres;
- Make recommendations to the Council on reviews of existing Schools/Departments, Programs, Research Centres;
- Direct advice on the employment of resources within the Faculty to the Dean;
- Make recommendations to the Dean via the Council on budgetary matters that affect academic programs;
- Advise the Dean on evening education, part-time and full-time studies, graduate education, and Faculty fundraising;
- Advise the Dean on the interplay of academic and budget issues in the development of the Integrated Resource Plan;
- Through the Non-Degree Studies Sub-Committee, receive proposals and set policy with respect to the institutional development in areas of non-degree programming and the relationship between degree and non-degree studies;
- Advise the Dean on matters related to the allocation of appointments of faculty members to the tenure stream (but not individual appointees) each year, preferably within the context of comprehensive budget proposals and in light of the Faculty Academic Plan and developmental plans of the various Schools/Departments within the Faculty;
- Access all relevant information through the Office of the Dean and report to the Council regularly on all advice given to the Dean.
Seven faculty members elected at-large for a three-year term
Two students appointed by the Student Council of the Liberal Arts & Professional Studies on an annual basis
Ex-officio (non-voting) members
Dean or dean’s designate
Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies Representative on the Academic Policy, Planning and Research Committee of Senate
Director for the Division of Continuing Education
Chair of Faculty Council or designate
Staff Representative from the Strategic Planning Unit
Secretary of Council or designate
Faculty members will be elected at-large for a three-year rolling cycle. Members elected at-large will not be from the same School/Department. Each year, one-third of the membership turns over and will be replaced on a rotational basis by other faculty members from different Schools/Departments who are not already represented on the Committee. At all times there shall be at least one member from each of the professional, humanities, and social sciences Departments/Schools, and at least one member from an interdisciplinary program. Units will self-identify as one of the following: humanities, social science, or professional studies, reported to the Council Office by January 1.
The Chair of the Committee is selected by the voting members of the Committee for a two-year term.
At least half of the voting members of the Committee, the majority of whom are full-time faculty members, constitutes a quorum.