For Students Entering/Changing Programs effective Fall/Winter 2014/15
The Faculty of Liberal Arts and Professional Studies general education curriculum provides students with the foundation of interdisciplinary knowledge, breadth, methods and the approaches necessary for successful liberal arts and professional education.
General Education courses approved for credit expose students to ways of knowing and fundamental ideas spanning the humanities, natural sciences and social sciences. These courses also provide explicit instruction in critical analytical skills and thought and its communication in writing and speech.
For all degree types offered by the Faculty of Liberal Arts and Professional Studies, students must take a minimum of 21 General Education credits from the approved list of LA&PS General Education courses as follows:
- 6.00 credits in Natural Science (NATS)
- A 9.00 credit approved General Education course in the social science or humanities categories
- A 6.00 credit approved General Education course in the opposite category to the 9.00 credit course in social science or humanities already taken.
Guidelines for General Education courses:
- It is strongly recommended that students successfully complete (pass) their first General Education course within the first 24 credits and all General Education courses within the first 48 credits.
- All General Education courses are offered at the 1000-level.
- All approved General Education courses may count for General Education credit; some may count for major credit; none may count as both. For students in programs where a General Education course is a required major course, a different General Education course will have to be taken to satisfy the General Education requirement (no double counting).
- A maximum of 36 credits in General Education will count towards the degree. Students who are required to exceed the 36 credit maximum because of program/degree requirements must obtain permission.
- General Education courses may be offered by any School or Department in Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies. Please refer to approved list of LA&PS General Education courses.
Search Approved General Education Courses by Area
Approved General Education courses may be found under three main areas:
Each General Education area may contain approved courses from a variety of disciplines that will satisfy the specified area (examples: criminology, english, human rights and equity studies, etc).
Please note that not all courses listed are offered in all academic sessions. Please refer to the York Course Web Site for current course offerings.