Portuguese is spoken by over 250 million people worldwide, making it the 4th most widely spoken mother tongue on a global level - see Exhibition "Economic Potential of the Portuguese Language".
It is the official language in eight countries. It is the working language of twelve international organizations. It is also the language used by numerous Lusophone communities around the world - Canada, USA, Germany, France, Switzerland, Australia, South Africa, Venezuela, Luxemburg - and in territories like Macau and Goa.
The Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies Portuguese Studies program will introduce you to the language, literature and culture of Portugal and the entire Lusophone world across all continents.
Develop and enrich your command of Portuguese through intensive training in listening, reading, writing and speaking. It is an established and historically rich language, from music to literature, from Humanities to the Sciences. Portuguese speakers are in demand in a variety of disciplines and a wide range of fields.
Discover the fascinating social and cultural context of the Portuguese-speaking world. Our program is the gateway to a deeper understanding of an array of warm and welcoming Lusophone cultures around the world!
Our challenging courses explore a range of topics, from the variety of the Portuguese language to an examination of several themes in literature, culture, film and music, including a high component of experiential education courses. Our courses offer a range of interdisciplinary options and perspectives; from the early modern period to contemporary postcolonial times.
Current data indicate that Portuguese is growing in importance not only worldwide, but also in Canada. A recent article in the Toronto Star identified the acute need for Portuguese-speaking professionals.
The growing importance of Brazil and other Portuguese-speaking countries also attest to the rising value of the language and the need for bi-lingual, bi-cultural professionals.
Did you know that...?/Sabias que...?:
- "The most important language in the job market today is Portuguese" (Observatório da Língua Portuguesa)
- "Generation Lusophonia: why Portuguese is the new language of power and trade" (Monocle, Oct. 2012)
- "Why Portuguese is the best language for Music" (Tipsy Pilgrim, 09-12-2013)
- "Portuguese speakers will increase to 335 million by 2050" (Público, 03-25-2010)
- Portuguese is the most spoken language in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Some of the countries with the largest discoveries of hydrocarbon (Mboe) are members of the Community of Portuguese Speaking Countries (CPLP).
- The best CSI in the world is Portuguese (Professor Duarte Nuno Vieira)
- Portuguese is the 5th most used language on the Internet. It enjoyed the 4th largest growth rate.
- Portuguese is the 3rd most used language in social networks and in the business of oil and gas!
- It is the 1st foreign language in the education system of several countries!
Students are encouraged to participate in York International's study abroad and summer internship Programs in a Portuguese-speaking country. York University has established programs with several universities in Brazil and added the Universidade Nova de Lisboa as its newest partner in 2011.
Find out more about international opportunities and funding for students offered by the Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies.
For more information please refer to the study abroad section.
- Experiential Education Course - POR 4010 Language in Context: Portuguese in the GTA!
ARE YOU INTERESTED IN LANGUAGE IMMERSION? DO YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THE PORTUGUESE-SPEAKING COMMUNITY IN THE GTA? DO YOU WONDER WHAT IS LIKE TO EXPERIENCE THE PORTUGUESE-SPEAKING WORLD IN A PROFESSIONAL ENVIRONMENT? THEN THIS COURSE IS FOR YOU!
This advanced Experiential Education language course engages students in a learning process blending theory and coursework with practical, hands-on, real-life experience. Students refine their language skills, especially those specific to professional environments. The experiential education component enables students to participate in a wide variety of community-based projects assigned by the community partner in consultation with the instructor. Prerequisites: AP/POR 3000 6.00 or permission of the Department. Course credit exclusions: None.
Our Community partners/learning sites:
- Course Schedule 2014/15 - New online placement test!
The fall and winter schedule is now online.
- New Exchange Program
York University has developed a new exchange program with Universidade Nova de Lisboa.
- Lusophone Coffee Hour, Feb 9, 4pm to 5:30pm, Guest Performer: Nuno Cristo
Join us for lively Portuguese music and an engaging talk!
A century of Portuguese popular music
Nuno Cristo, musician, instrument maker, and ethnomusicologist, presents a historical overview of the characteristic genres of popular music "made in Portugal" since 1910, including:
- the "nacional cançonetismo" of the Estado Novo;
- the post "25 de Abril" revolution songs of political intervention;
- the late folk revival in the 1970s, and
- the Novo Fado and Pimba.
The influence of imported genres such as rock, pop, and hip-hop performed in Portuguese, and the role of Lusophone Africa, Brazil and the diasporas in the development of Portuguese popular music will also be discussed.
Location: Ross Building South, Room 562
- Portuguese Speaking Hour - Mondays - 1:30 - 2:30
Do you want to improve your current language skills?
Do you need extra practice?
If you are currently enrolled in Portuguese language courses or are simply curious to learn more about Portuguese, then this opportunity is for you, and it's free!
Portuguese Speaking Hour
Mondays, 1:30-2:30 pm
Everyone is welcome!
- Student Tali Yanuka awarded scholarship from the prestigious Federation of Portuguese Canadian Business and Professionals
The Portuguese Studies program congratulates our student Tali Yanuka for receiving a scholarship from the prestigious Federation of Portuguese Canadian Business and Professionals! Tali was awarded the Portuguese Studies Award. The Portuguese Studies Scholarship Award:
This scholarship is awarded to a university or college student who has completed at least two full course equivalents in Portuguese at the second year level or higher or a student who is pursuing an undergraduate degree in Portuguese Studies at a Canadian university. This scholarship is meant to recognize students who are not of Portuguese ancestry but are interested in the language and/or culture.
Congratulations, Tali, on this accomplishment!
For more information on the Federation of Portuguese Canadian Business and Professionals visit www.fpcbp.com