Honours - 120 credits
As a student entering the Faculty and having the academic standing for Honours, you will be placed in the Honours program of your choice where applicable.
As an Honours student your transcript will indicate your standing for the Honours program you have selected. At the beginning of each academic session when you begin to enroll in courses, you may be asked to declare if you wish to remain in Honours, simply check "Honours" to retain your status.
As a student in the Honours program you have the option in most programs to:
- Specialize in a primary concentration
- Add a second major (have two primary areas of concentration)
- Add a minor (have a secondary area of concentration)
- Apply to study abroad for a York international exchange program
- Have access to upper level courses reserved for Honours students
Students considering furthering their education through Graduate Studies in Canada will normally require completion of an Honours degree. As an Honours standing student, you retain the option to graduate with a 90 credit bachelor program if applicable. You may do so without changing your Honours status. You simply apply to graduate on-line in the session you are completing your requirements for the bachelor degree. You will retain your Honours status and will be granted enrolment access in the next two academic sessions.
Bachelor - 90 credits
As a student in the Faculty you have the option to follow the bachelor 90 credit program where applicable. If you are a student with Honours standing you may remain in the Honours program and follow the requirements for bachelor should you wish to graduate with the 90 credit bachelor program.
If you have grades below the required standing for Honours the Faculty will automatically place you in the bachelor 90 credit program where applicable. If you are required to change your program as a result of your academic standing, you may select a BA bachelor program for which you qualify. You will remain in the bachelor program and may apply to graduate on-line in the session you are completing your program requirements.
Should you raise your grade point average to the minimum requirement for honours prior to completion of 90 passed credits (including transfer credit) you will automatically be switched by the Registrar's Office to the honours program in the same discipline (exceptions: Business Economics and Portuguese Studies). Only if you wish to change your major or add a minor will you be required to submit a change of program request form.
Program options with other York Faculties
Students in the Faculty of Liberal Arts and Professional Studies may combine any Honours double major or major/minor option with an approved Honours double major or Honours major/minor program offered through the Faculty of Environmental Studies, the Faculty of Fine Arts, the Faculty of Health or the Faculty of Science and Engineering. Students must check with Faculty offering the program for further information.
- Students must maintain Honours standing as stipulated by the program.
- Students registered in any Liberal Arts and Professional Studies Faculty program must complete at least ½ (50 per cent) of each major or minor at York.
- In some instances, in order to complete the requirements of an Honours Double Major or Honours Major/Minor program, it may be necessary to successfully complete (pass) more than 120 credits.
- Faculty of Liberal Arts and Professional Studies degree requirements and program regulations apply.
- LA&PS students successfully completing a BA Honours Double Major or Honours Major/Minor programs combined with other programs or Faculties will receive an Honours BA degree.
- Students successfully completing a BSW Honours Major/Minor program combined with other minor programs will receive an Honours BSW degree.
- LA&PS students successfully completing a BPA Honours Major/Minor program combined with other Faculties or programs will receive an Honours BPA degree..
- LA&PS students successfully completing a BDEM Honours Double Major or Major/Minor program combined with other Faculties or programs will receive an Honours BDEM degree.
- Students who successfully complete a minor (such as business), will graduate with the degree relevant to their major. Example: BA Honours English (major) with a business (minor) will graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree.