Welcome to Gender and Women’s Studies
Think! Critique! Create! Act! Transform!
Gender and Women's Studies is an interdisciplinary field of study that explores relations of power in the lives of individuals, groups and cultures in multiple settings and sites locally and transnationally. Our challenging courses on women and gender analyze constructions and intersections of gender, race, class, age, ability and sexuality in popular culture, everyday life, the arts, the sciences, politics, societies, and the economy.
We encourage students to engage individually and collectively in the transformative processes of feminist scholarship, practices and politics. Gender and Women's Studies students develop the practical, theoretical, communications, and organization skills to think, write, conduct research and act critically and creatively. Students will gain the skills necessary to conduct research and transform the knowledge gained into any future career they may choose, including an ongoing career as a graduate student.
Why choose Gender and Women’s Studies?
- York faculty have been leaders in the study of women and gender in Canada and internationally for three decades.
- Our dedicated, dynamic, award winning professors offer excellent learning environments at all levels of study.
- 2015 Summer Gender and Women's Studies Course Descriptions (pdf)
- 2014-2015 Gender and Women's Studies Course Descriptions (pdf)
- 2014-2015 Other Courses Available for GSWS Credit sorted by department (pdf)