Gramma - for ancient Greek
1. To access the program, doubleclick on the GREEK folder from the MLC program manager. Then doubleclick on the GRAMMA icon.
2. From the initial screen, click on "New User" and type your user name and click on OK. The next time you use GRAMMA, select your name from the list presented. This allows the program to track your preferences and performance as you practice Greek. Then click on START.
3. From the "Welcome" window, within the "drill" settings, enter how many items you wish to practice. If you click on "Accents Important" the program will consider missing or incorrect accents as errors. You may wish to try some exercises with this box active, and others with this box inactive. Within the "fonts" setting, you may, if you so desire, change the font for the display of English words, but you cannot change the "Athenian" font for the display of Greek words. Within the "Active/Passive Knowledge" setting, you may select only active (English words for which you must provide the Greek) or only passive (Greek words for which you must provide the English translation). The recommended setting (which is also the default setting) is for 25% active knowledge.
4. Within the specific settings, select the "tab" you desire (Vocabulary, Verbs, or Nouns, etc.) and click on "Begin Drill." When you first begin, you will be asked to select the textbook from which you wish to have vocabulary selected. Follow the advice of your instructor. You can also choose how many chapters you wish to practice. At the outset, limiting yourself to one or two chapters is advisable. The "How much reinforcement? " setting allows you to indicate at which point you consider an item to have been learned (e.g. 5 times) so that the program will stop including it in your drills. "How much review?" allows you to indicate how many items you wish to have reviewed in the selections the program offers you.
5. From Greek to English: if the program offers you a word in Greek, type your answer in English in the box "Your answer" then either click on OK or press ENTER. You now have an opportunity to edit your answer, or if you are satisfied, simply press ENTER. The program evaluates your answer. Boxes containing correct answers will turn green. Boxes containing incorrect answers will turn red and display the correct answer. Once you have checked your answer, continue by clicking on OK or by pressing ENTER.
6. From English to Greek: if the program offers you a word in English, type your answer in Greek using Beta Code. Beta Code is a way of representing diatonic Greek using the regular characters available on the keyboard. Click on the "Show Beta Code Template" button to open a window showing the match of Greek letters with the English keyboard (e.g alpha = a, beta = b, etc.) To enter breathings follow the instructions, by typing the parentheses after the letter over which they should appear (e.g. ")" for smooth breathing and "(" for rough breathing. For capital letters type an asterisk before the letter. Type accents as indicated following the letter over which the accents are to appear. Use the pop-up menu to specify grammatical information critical to the meaning (e.g. in plural, accusative, genitive, dative, etc.). The HELP feature has information on using the Beta Code.
7. At the end of your session, you will receive a drill score. You may choose to end a session at any time by clicking the "End Drill" button. You may choose to save your score or to have it deleted. If you save it, the program will remember to recycle into your next drill, the words with which you had difficulty.
8. To exit the program, return to the Welcome window after you have ended your drill. Then click on "Quit."