Skip to main content
Amber Gazso

Student Advising

Meet the Undergraduate Program Director, Professor Amber Gazso

As the Undergraduate Program Director (UPD), I schedule advising appointments with Sociology Majors/Minors to make sure that they know what they need (required GPA, courses) to successfully complete their respective programs.

Additionally, based on the academic record, to the best of my knowledge, I advise students about the requirements of General Education, Electives and Upper Level. Given that our students often have competing commitments, my role as the UPD is simple: to do what I possibly can to make sure your years of investment in obtaining your degree with a Major/Minor in Sociology is free of unexpected problems.


Location:  Department of Sociology - Vari Hall 2060

If you book an appointment and are unable to keep it, please cancel using the online booking system.

If you must cancel with less than 12 hours notice, please telephone the Sociology Department at  416-736-5015 to advise such.


  1. I am in the Honours program, but I want to graduate with the BA, can I do it?
  2. I am in my fourth year of study at York but I am unable to enroll in AP/SOCI 4000 level courses, why?
  3. I graduated from college with 30 transfer credits, how are these credits applied toward my degree (including my major in Sociology) at York?
  4. I am in good academic standing at York but I am not able to continue enrolling in courses at York. I want to continue my studies, so how do I obtain the LOP (Letter of Permission from York granting students to successfully complete courses that are being counted toward their degree requirements at York)?
  5. Can I retake a course to upgrade my GPA? Should I?
  6. My current GPA is negatively impacting my ability to proceed further with my studies and I would like to have some poor grades removed, what is the process?
  7. I am not in agreement with the grade that I have been assigned in this Sociology course, what is the grade reappraisal process?
  8. I am a student in Sociology (Major/Minor, Honours or General BA), and I simply want to have someone "walk me through " what I need to complete for the degree. Is there a person that I can talk to?