All major degree candidates must complete the program core and at least 3.0 credits in an approved statistics course as part of their stream requirement.
- AS/ECON 1000 3.00 Introduction to Microeconomics;
- AS/ECON 1010 3.00 Introduction to Macroeconomics;
- AS/SOSC 1340 9.00 Introduction to Business and Society;
- AS/SOSC 2340 6.00 Intermediate Business and Society.
It is recommended that students take the first three of the above courses in their first year and SOSC 2340 in their second year. In the first year, students should also choose from the introductory (1000- or 2000-level) courses in each of their streams, and/or courses which contribute to the "general education" requirement in the Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies, and/or the statistics requirement (see below).
[N.B. For students who entered the programme in 2008 or before, the core requirement of CSE 1520 3.0 or MATH 1581 3.0 may be waived and substituted. Please see the coordinator or the programme assistant for details.]
Statistics courses are offered in many of the streams and many of these courses have course credit exclusions. Check course descriptions carefully for course credit exclusions to avoid duplicating course work. As of 2009-10, BUSO students are encouraged to take SC/MATH 1532 as a Statistics course.
BA Program (54.0 credits)
- The core courses;
- 18.0 credits from each of the two streams;
- 6.0 credits at the 3000 level in each of the two streams.
Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies legislation requires that in order to obtain a BA (90 credits degree), students must take a total of at least 18 credits at the 3000 level.
The Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies residence requirement will be met by successfully completing at least 50 per cent of the major requirements of each of the two streams (with the exception of the Environment stream) in the Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies.
Honours BA Program (72.0 credits)
- The core courses;
- 24.0 credits from each of two of the streams;
- AS/SOSC 4040 6.00 Issues in Business and Society*;
- 12.0 additional credits at the 4000 level including at least 6.0 credits at the 4000 level in each of the two streams.
The Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies legislation requires that, in order to obtain an Honours BA (120.0 credits), students must take a total of at least 18.0 credits at the 4000 level.
* With permission of the Co-ordinator, students may substitute AS/SOSC 4040 with any one of the following:
- AP/SOSC 4043 6.0 Corporate Governance & Business Law
- AP/SOSC 4044 6.0 Ethics and Economics
- AP/SOSC 4045 6.0 Business, Communications and Society
- AP/SOSC 4046 6.0 Social economy practicum
- AP/SOSC 4047 6.0 The business of neoliberal globalisation