Academic Advising for Current Students
For more information, see the FAQ list below.
We in the Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies, York University are committed to your academic success. Our Schools, Departments, faculty and staff are here to support you throughout your time at York. We also partner with other offices and units at York to provide you with the support that you require.
For information about required courses and course enrollments & to understand program specific requirements: Please visit your program Office and contact the Undergraduate Program Director in your program of study.
LA&PS Student Academic Advising Services (SAAS) in 103 Central Square is a place where our advising team members can help you get the information and guidance you need. Please remember that advising is a shared relationship between you and the advisor. Advisors can explain policies and regulations or offer academic options. However, you must accept final responsibility for the decisions you make regarding your academic program and standing. In the end, the best way for you to succeed and keep your academic options open is to study hard and achieve good grades!
Most students seeking advice or information can get the routine directions they seek from the FAQ list below. If you have questions or concerns that are not addressed below, please visit 103 Central Square, call us at 416-736-5222, complete the Request Advising Support Form or email email@example.com
Walk in Hours:
Please stop by with your quick questions as walk-ins are limited to a maximum of 10 minutes. If you have completed over 60 credits and have transfer credit we suggest that you complete the Request for an Advising Appointment Form as 10 minutes may not be sufficient time to discuss your concerns.
Remember to bring your photo YU Card as we can only share information with the student.
If we cannot address your questions/concerns at that time, we will do our best to arrange an appointment for you as soon as possible. For more information, see the FAQ list below.
Request Advising Support:
To best determine the support that you need please complete the Request Advising Support Form.
Most Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I book an appointment with an advisor?
A: Advising appointments are ONLY made available by completing the Request Advising Support Form so that we can best determine how we can assist you:
Visit 103 Central Square or call us at 416-736-5222 to have a brief chat with one of our advising team members. We hope to be able to address your needs/questions on the spot.
However, if you still need a formal appointment after speaking with us, we will ask you to complete the Form and we will contact you regarding the next steps.
- I can't make the appointment. Can someone else come in my place?
We are only allowed to share information with the student. Please contact us to reschedule your appointment.
- How do I know I'm taking the right courses for my program?
A: All LAPS course and program requirements are found, here: www.yorku.ca/laps/futurestudents/undergrad_programs.asp
If you want to find out if you're on track for graduation, visit the online Degree Progress Tool.
If you are not able to use the online Degree Progress Report above because you are in a combined degree program (e.g. double major or major/minor) or you have transfer credit, you can request a degree review by completing the following form.
- How do I get a copy of my transfer credit statement for my previous post-secondary studies?
A: Please visit www.registrar.yorku.ca/program/transfer_credit/
- I know I want to change my major but I don't know which direction to go. What should I do?
If you don't know what to major in, there are at least four considerations to make:
- Make sure you explore what's possible. Here is a list of all the majors in Liberal Arts and Professional Studies. Take some time to discover those you are most interested in. Learn more by speaking to students, staff and faculty in your target programs.
- Make sure you are eligible to move to the programs on your short-list. The "Program Requirements" link on the program descriptions page will specify entry requirements, where applicable. You'll also find important information about changing your major, here.
- Pick a major that YOU enjoy. Friends and family can exert pressure to choose a particular major. But, if you don't enjoy learning about that subject, your chances for success and graduation are severely limited. Pick a major in which you can't wait to get to the next class! When you enjoy a class, you'll get better grades. And, better grades lead to more options after graduation.
- Pick a path that makes sense for your long term goals. After graduation, do you want to go to graduate school, professional school or right into the workforce? Learn more about life after York by visiting the Career Centre. They, too, can help you find your true calling.
- How do I change my major and how do I know if I'm eligible to make the change?
A: If you know the program you would like to change to, you can find all the information about how to make the change here: www.registrar.yorku.ca/program/change/
If you are still searching for a different program in LA&PS, check out the possibilities, including academic background and transfer eligibility requirements here: www.yorku.ca/laps/futurestudents/programs_list.asp
- I am a first year student and have more questions regarding enrolment and course selection.
A: Review the presentation for incoming students found here: www.yorku.ca/laps/students/pdf/new_student_presentation.pdf
If you have further questions, please stop by 103 Central Square or contact your academic program office for courses/requirements specific to your major. Program and contact information is available here: www.yorku.ca/laps/futurestudents/undergrad_programs.asp
- I've been away from York for a while. How do I resume my studies?
A: If you've attended another post-secondary institution since you were last at York, you must re-apply through the Admissions Office. For more information, visit: http://futurestudents.yorku.ca/requirements/univ_coll
If you have not attended another post-secondary institution since you were last at York, you can reactivate your record here: www.registrar.yorku.ca/enrol/reactivate/
If the online reactivation tool above does not work for you, contact Student Client Services at www.yorku.ca/scsweb/
- I'm having trouble adding or dropping a course. What should I do?
A: Please remember that there are strict add and drop deadlines. For more information visit www.registrar.yorku.ca/enrol/dates/
If you are trying to add or drop a course past the deadline, you must petition. For more information on petitions visit www.yorku.ca/laps/council/students/petitions.html
If you are unable to enroll in a course because spaces are reserved, please contact the department offering the course.
- Where can I learn about academic warnings, penalties & progression requirements?
A: Please visit www.yorku.ca/laps/students/academic_standing/
- What happens if I repeat a course I have already taken?
A: Please visit: www.yorku.ca/secretariat/policies/document.php?document=92
Most Frequently Redirected Questions
From time to time, students come to 103 Central Square and ask questions or have needs that are best addressed by other student services office around campus. Here are the most common:
|Admissions||Bennett Centre for Student Services|
|Student Finances/Accounts/OSAP||Student Client Services, Bennett Centre|
|Career Preparation & Counseling||Career Centre, 202 McLaughlin College|
|Computing (e.g. Passport York)||Computing Commons, Wm. Small Centre|
|Writing Help/Tutoring||Writing Department, S329 Ross|
|International Exchange Programs||York International, 200 York Lanes|