Volunteer Peer Note Taker
Is the LA&PS Volunteer Peer Note Taker program for me?
Do you know that there are students in some of your classes with a disability who are unable to take notes for themselves? Do you have an amazing note-taking ability? Are you the type of student who likes to help others?
Become a LA&PS Volunteer Peer Note Taker! The LA&PS Peer Note Taker program is coordinated by Counselling & Disability Services (CDS).
What is your job as a volunteer peer note takers?
As a volunteer peer note taker you will provide a copy of your notes from the beginning of term to the end of the term for the use of a student with disabilities in your class. Without this support, it will be difficult for the student with a disability to be successful in the course.
Can I be a volunteer peer note takers in a class that I am not taking?
Absolutely! You are allowed to attend a course that you are not registered for to be a volunteer peer note taker.
Are you qualified to be a volunteer peer note taker?
To qualify you must be an LA&PS student with a minimum of a "B" average.
Are you in your first year of university? Was your high school average over 75%? If yes, you qualify. E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org and please indicate in the subject line: LA&PS Volunteer Note Taker.
What is in it for me?
In addition to providing much-needed support to a student with a disability, your volunteer work can be of direct benefit to you in a number of ways!
- CDS will be pleased to provide you with a letter of recognition at the end of the course stating that you provided essential note taking support to students with disabilities in the York University community.
- At your request, CDS will also provide a letter of reference for employers attesting to your volunteer commitment and contribution to campus life.
- Many of the awards and scholarships available to York University students consider volunteer activities as an important criterion in determining successful award recipients.
- If you are involved with SOARING you can use this as a volunteer opportunity - 1 point for each course each semester.
- You will also receive the Centre for Student Success weekly volunteer e-newsletter with information about special events and workshops.
For more information, please contact CDS at email@example.com