New Beat is New College’s student written magazine. It is produced by students to be read and shared among the student community. Our focus is on student life and engagement, personal and professional development, and student-focused lifestyle articles that will educate and entertain.
You can play an important part as the New Beat Editor or New Beat Media Assistant.
New Beat Editor:
As the Editor of New Beat you will ...
- Recruit and coordinate with student contributors.
- Plan and manage timelines and deadlines for Fall and Winter editions.
- Vet content and edit articles prior to layout/design of magazine.
- Attend regular meetings with the Media Assistant, NCC Director of Academic Affairs and the Office of the Master staff.
New Beat Media Assistant:
As the New Beat Media Assistant you will ...
- Attend various New College events for the purpose of taking photographs.
- Design event and magazine posters for promotion through social media.
- Plan and complete design and layout of Fall and Winter editions.
- Jointly with Editor, select content for magazine.
- Attend regular meetings with the Editor, NCC Director of Academic Affairs and the Office of the Master staff.
- Arrange printing of magazine.
To be considered for this position, you must:
- Be registered as a domestic and full-time student in Fall and Winter semesters, taking at least 9 credits per term.
- Must qualify for a work/study position based on the Student Financial Profile: http://sfs.yorku.ca/aid/sfp/
- Be available to be on campus during the school week for regular meetings.
- Have excellent communications skills (written and oral).
- Proficiency using Microsoft Word, Excel, Photoshop and InDesign.
- Direct experience in Editing or Design would be an asset.
To apply, please send a copy of your resume and cover letter to email@example.com before 9 am August 1, 2014. Be sure to identify the position you are applying for as well as your student number and contact information.
Do you like to write? Here is your opportunity to be published! New Beat is always looking for articles and artwork to include in our next issue.
Volunteering as a student writer for New Beat is an excellent opportunity to build your resume and writing portfolio as well as meet new people and expand your network.
If you have a great idea for an article, or would like to join our team, we’d love to hear from you!
If interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.