Orientation Information for Parents/Family and Students
York and New College Orientation (Academic and Social) for New Students
Start your education off right by joining us at the new student academic orientation. Student Orientation is open for all incoming New College students (domestic, international, exchange, transfer and mature).
As a new student, you probably have a lot of questions about university, your classes and student life. York is a big place, but what’s great is that there are lots of options and opportunities. New College is your home community within the larger university.
The Office of the Master and New College Council will help you get settled and will provide support throughout your academic career. We will also introduce you to broader supports within the Faculty of Liberal Arts and Professional Studies (LA&PS).
At Academic Orientation, you will:
- Learn more about your college (New College) and what is here for you
- Learn more about your academic program
- Become familiar with the campus community, services and important resources available to you
- Learn about financial resources (free money)
- Learn how to get involved in student life by connecting with current students and a wide variety of student clubs and organizations
- Discover exciting opportunities and upcoming events
- Get the "inside scoop" on life at York from current students and staff
- Meet new friends, faculty and colleagues
- Learn about our Peer Mentorship program designed to assist you during your transition from high school to university.
Please be aware that Academic Orientation is an essential program for all new students, and attendance is mandatory.
Who Should Register:
All students who are enrolled in the following degree programs:
- (BAS) Bachelor of Administrative Studies:
Accounting, Business Research, Finance, Management, Human Resources Management, Marketing;
- (BAS ITEK) Bachelor of Administrative Studies:
Information Technology – Business, Systems Analysis, E-Commerce Development, IT Auditing & Assurance;
- (BDEM) Bachelor of Disaster and Emergency Management;
- (BHRM) Bachelor of Human Resources Management;
- (BA ITEC)
Bachelor of Arts Information Technology:
Technology and Society, Health Industry, Technical and Professional Writing, Communication Studies, Management, Marketing
Fall Academic Orientation
(courses starting in September)
Date: September 8, 2015
Time: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Accolade West 109 for Administrative Studies (BAS and BDEM)
Accolade West 206 for Human Resources Management and Information Technology (BHRM, BA ITEC and BAS ITEK)
** Early Bird Registration Prize for Academic Orientation **
Winter term - Register by December 1 and you could win a $50 gift certificate to spend at the YorkU Bookstore!
Summer term - Register by April 15 and you could win a $25 gift certificate to spend at the YorkU Bookstore!
Fall term - Register by August 15 and you could win a $100 gift certificate to spend at the YorkU Bookstore!
The winner of the Early Bird Prize will be announced at Academic Orientation. The winner must be in attendance to receive a prize.
Resources and Services
International Students Orientation
As the central support to international students at York University, York International (YI) is looking forward to welcoming New College international students!
York International will be offering a special International Student Orientation Session to address the unique needs of international students. At this session international students will:
- Receive crucial information about immigration requirements for international students, including how the newly implemented rules affect you.
- Learn about the mandatory University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP).
- Have the opportunity to make lasting friends with international peers who will assist with adaptation to the new academic environment.
- Learn about safety and security at York University.
As an international student, it is mandatory for you to participate in this special session.
Mature Students Academic Orientation
As the central support for mature students at York University, Atkinson Centre for Mature and Part-Time Students (ACMAPS), in collaboration with New College, invites you to attend Mature Student Orientation. The event will include:
- a presentation on transitioning to university as a mature or transfer student,
- information on campus resources,
- an interactive services and student panel.
- Note: this session will also include specific program information for students enrolled in: Human Resources Management, Administrative Studies, and Information Technology.
Mature students in all areas of study are welcome to attend this event.
Join New College Council (your student council) for Social Orientation. Students living both on and off campus are all invited to be a part of this grand kickoff for New College. There will be tons of events, games and activities where you can meet other new students before classes start.
Please Note: Social Orientation is hosted by New College Council (your student council) and is a different event from the College and Academic Orientation above which is mandatory.
|2014 Orientation Video:||2013 Orientation Video:|
Parents & Family Orientation
Saturday, September 5, 2015
10:00 am - 12:00 pm
New College specific Parent & Family Orientation
+ Question and Answer period
|12:00 pm - 1:00 pm||
|1:00 pm - 4:00 pm||
Vari Hall , #30 on the map
For more information, please visit: http://orientation.yorku.ca/parents-and-family/
To register, please visit:
Should you experience any difficulties with this page, please call 416-736-5233 or email email@example.com