What We Do Not Do
- Is not an advocate or someone who takes one or the other side in a complaint. The Ombudsperson must consider all sides in an impartial and objective way with the goal of assisting in developing fair solutions to complex and difficult problems.
- Does not make University policy or replace established legislative or judicial procedures, although s/he may investigate any and all of these, raise questions about them, and make such recommendations to the President as s/he feels proper for their improvement and efficient functioning;
- Does not have the authority to reverse decisions.
- Cannot represent individuals in appeals or formal grievance procedures either on campus or off campus
- Can not provide legal representation or give legal advice
- Can not get involved in a non-University related problem or complaint
- Is not an "office of record". Speaking with the Ombudsperson is not "notice to the University" of problems or policy violations.