Social Media Usage and Guidelines
Please review how we use them below and understand that these tools are intended to supplement, not replace, the channels currently in place for media and communication with the Office of the President. Media inquiries should be directed to 416-736-5585 or email@example.com and questions or complaints should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Twitter is a free social networking site that allows users to send and read other users' updates of up to 140 characters in length. While people use Twitter in many different ways for both personal and professional reasons, we are using Twitter at the President's Office as another way to keep York University community members informed about what we're doing and as another way to get feedback.
You can follow us on Twitter at @YorkUPresOffice
- We follow people back who follow us. If you'd rather we not, send us a direct message and we'll be happy to comply.
- The account is maintained and monitored by a combination of members of the President's office staff and President Mamdouh Shoukri (usually appends his tweets with "-MS").
- While we try to respond to comments on Twitter as much as possible, if you have a question, concern or comment, you may still want to contact the President's Office by email especially if what you have to say requires more than 140 characters!).
- While the President does tweet directly and he and his staff watch and update Twitter as much as possible, please recognize that we also monitor and maintain many other channels of feedback, outreach and engagement, both in-person and online.
- To ensure that everyone's opinions and ideas are heard, feedback on Twitter is incorporated with feedback from public meetings, email, letters, phone calls, and in-person visits.
- This is the Official Twitter Account for the Office of the President.
- Unless you protect your updates, messages you post on Twitter are public. Because not everyone knows that we are on Twitter, we occasionally search for 'tweets' that talk about President Shoukri but that do not reference our account, "@YorkUPresOffice", and let that user know about our account. We perform this search and outreach so that we can let as many people as possible know that we're listening and engaging.
The Office of the President will not respond to media requests via Twitter. Should you represent a media outlet, please contact Joanne Rider, Chief Spokesperson and Director, Media Relations at 416-736-2100 x 55593 or email@example.com
We post all of our photos to Flickr.
If you'd like to use any of our photos for a story, blog post, printing, etc., we ask that you credit, "Photo Courtesy of the Office of the President, York University" and include the photographer's name when available.
While you can always check our site for regular updates, it's often easier to have information come to you. RSS lets you do just that. When you subscribe to an RSS feed, updates come to you as we post them.
We offer RSS feed for our News and Updates that are posted on the Office of the President website.