Innovation York is the technology commercialization, industry-liaison, and research agreement unit within the Office of Research Services at York University. Within the technology transfer and commercialization stream, we work with inventors to determine the most appropriate way to commercialize a new invention through technology licensing activities or spin-off company creation.
We work with external commercialization partners in order to provide a comprehensive suite of commercialization services. Our goal is to ensure that your invention is translated into new products, research tools, methodologies or services that will have the appropriate social and economic impact — regionally, provincially, nationally and globally.
How does the commercialization process work?
- Submit a completed and signed invention disclosure to Innovation York.
- Meet with an Innovation York team member to discuss your invention.
- An initial review is conducted by Innovation York to assess your invention.
- Innovation York will determine if you need to pursue research funding opportunities, intellectual property protection or commercialization advice.
- Innovation York will accept or decline your invention into the commercialization portfolio.
- Innovation York will initiate intellectual property management and the required commercialization agreements, and begin business/invention development activities.
To ensure the effective commercialization of your invention, at any point in this process, Innovation York may recommend that a disclosure be made to one of our key external commercialization partners: Mars Innovation and VentureLab.
If an inventor chooses to work with Innovation York to commercialize an invention, we share in the costs and risks of advancing your discoveries/inventions to market and provide you with access to commercialization expertise and experience; both you and York University share in the financial success.
Director, Innovation York
416-736-2100 x 20579