External Funding Opportunities
York University researchers are reminded that all applications for external research funding, including Letters of Intent, must be reviewed and approved by the Office of Research Services before they are submitted to the granting agency.
For internal approval, the application must be accompanied by a completed ORS Checklist, which requires signatures from your chair and dean. To ensure that the approved application is ready by the agency deadline, a complete application folder must be submitted to the ORS ten (10) working days prior to final submission date.
- Canadian Institutes for Health Research (CIHR) Request for Applications, October 2015 (Various)
- SSHRC Connection Grants (4 deadlines/year - February 1, May 1, August 1, November 1)
- Pediatric Oncology Group of Ontario (POGO) - Seed and Fellowship Funding (MANDATORY registration October 5 2015 by 5pm)
- Compute Canada - 2016 Resource Allocation Competition (October 8 2015 by 4pm)
- The Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services - Call for Applications (October 9 2015 at 4pm EST)
- Sustainable Development Technology Canada: Call for Applications (October 14 2015)
- Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation - Call for Proposals (October 15 2015 by 5pm)
- Shastri Indo Canadian Institute - Call for Applications (October 15 2015)
- JP Bickell Foundation - Medical Research Program (MANDATORY ORS Deadline Ocotober 16 2015 by noon)
- Canadian Space Agency - Flights and Fieldwork for the Advancement of Science & Technology (FAST 2015) (October 16 2015 by 5pm)
- Women's Economic Empowerment in Morocco - Call for Proposals (October 21 2015 by 3pm)
- Women's Economic Empowerment in Jordan Call for Proposals (October 21 2015 by 3pm)
- Women's Economic Empowerment in Egypt Call for Proposals (October 21 2015 by 3pm)
- Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada (DFATD) - Support for Child and Youth Protection Initiatives in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) (October 22 2015 by 3pm)
- Promoting the Advancement of Women and Girls' Rights and Empowerment in Afghanistan (October 22 2015 by 3pm)
- NSERC Research Tools & Instruments Internal Competition (October 26 2015 by 8pm EST)
- Call for Proposals – Technological Platforms to Strengthen Public Sector Accountability and Citizen Engagement (October 27 2015 by 3pm)
- Ontario/Baden-Württemberg Faculty Research Grants (2016-2017) (October 30 2015)
- Ericsson Canada - Request for Research Proposals (October 31 2015)
- France Canada Research Fund - New Scientific Collaboration Support Program (November 20 2015)
- Canada Council for the Arts - John G. Diefenbaker Award (Novermber 1 2015)
- Internal Process and Funding Opportunity Details: Healthy Work Initiative - Joint CIHR and SSHRC Initiative (Partnership Development Grant) (ORS Application Review by November 2 2015 at 4pm)
- Canada-U.S. Fulbright Program (November 15 2015)
- CANARIE - Research Software Program - Call for Expressions of Interest (November 17 2015)
- Internal Competition Launch and Notice of Intent Instructions: SSHRC Partnership Grants Letter of Intent - 2016 Competition (iNOI to Faculty November 20 2015)
- Ontario Research Fund – Research Excellence Program (SIRI review November 27 2015 by 4pm)
- SSHRC Partnership Development Grants (November 30 2015)
- OCE - Smart Computing R&D Challenge (Draft to NSERC December 16 2015 by 5pm)
- Weston Brain Institute - Early Phase Clinical Trials 2015 (January 12 2016 by 2pm EDT)
- NSERC Call for Proposals: Collaborative Research and Training Experience (CREATE) Program (iNOI to ADR's February 6th, 2016, by 9am )
- AUTO21 Inc. - Connect Canada Internship Program
- Department of Justice - Youth Justice Fund, Guns, Gangs and Drugs
- Mitacs Accelerate - Get funding with non-for-profit partners
- Mitacs Accelerate Program
- Mitacs Globalink Research Award
- Mitacs Globalink Graduate Fellowship
- Mitacs Globalink Partnership Award
- NSERC Engage and Engage Plus Grants
- NSERC Connect Grants
- OCE TalentEdge Fellowship Program
- The Department of Canadian Heritage - Canada 150 Fund
Internal Funding Opportunities
Deadlines: Rolling deadlines. Please submit a completed application at least 6 weeks before the event is scheduled to take place.
Objective: The Office of the VPRI offers seed funding to support events or outreach activities that strengthen the research culture and build the profile and reputation of research at York University.
Value: Successful applicants can normally expect funding in the range of $500-$1,500 depending on the level of demand across the University and the scope of the activity.
Duration: All funds that are unused 12 months following the award decision must be returned to the Office of the VPRI.
Contact: Amanda Thompson
Deadlines: November 1 and March 1
Objective: To support small-scale research projects where a significant contribution to Italian-Canadian studies will be made and the prestige of the university enhanced. Eligible expenses include research costs and travel to conferences.
Value: Not specifically stated. "Limited resources do not allow support for major projects."
Duration: Not stated.
Contact: Alon Teper
Deadlines: May 1 and November 1
Objective: The program permits, under certain conditions, a researcher to receive a research grant in lieu of salary through a mechanism which includes peer review.
Contact: Mala Thakoor
Deadlines: February 1, May 1, August 1 and November 1
Objective: To provide assistance for attendance at national and international scholarly conferences for which the applicant is giving a paper, making a poster presentation, or featured at a solo or 2 person opening of an exhibition, a principal screening, premier performance of dance, theatre or musical production.
Value: Generally, up to a minimum APEX or Charter Class airfare.
Duration: Not applicable.
Contact: Denise Jagdeosingh-Martinez
Deadlines: October 31 and March 31
Objective: To provide support to full-time faculty members and professional librarians for pilot studies, junior faculty, ‘opportunistic’ small projects, and projects not readily funded elsewhere.
Value: Up to 4,000
Duration: One year.
Contact: Denise Jagdeosingh-Martinez
Deadlines: February 1, May 1, July 1 and November 1
Objective: To provide support to defray costs that are essential to the preparation of a successful grant application, such as those associated with assembling collaboration teams. It is intended to assist larger-scale initiatives in the quest for external funding. These grants are not awarded to support the preparation of applications for the standard programs of research support (e.g., NSERC Discovery, SSHRC Connections Grants, and SSHRC Insight and Insight Development Grants). Applications will be considered in support of the development of larger-scale tri-council applications.
Value: Up to $6,000.
Duration: Eighteen months.
Contact: Denise Jagdeosingh-Martinez
The Office of Research Services (ORS) invites applications for the 2015-2016
York Fellowship and two Visiting Scholarships at Massey College in the
University of Toronto. The Fellowship and the two Scholarships are open to
full-time faculty members planning to go on sabbatical or other leave during
2015-2016. The Fellowship will provide the selected faculty member with prime
office space in the College for the academic year and the status of a full
Senior Resident of the College, with dining privileges (such as attendance of
all High Tables subject to College rules). The title "York Fellow of Massey
College" remains for life or while mutually agreeable.
The Visiting Scholars will have a carrel in the College and access to Robarts Library and all public rooms in the College. Membership in the Massey Alumni Association is granted to Visiting Scholars at the completion of their program.
Massey College is an independent college situated in the University of Toronto campus, almost directly opposite the Munk School of Global Affairs and very close to the Robarts Library. It consists of a junior fellowship, made up of graduate students, and a senior fellowship, consisting primarily of faculty, of whom an increasing number come from York University. (See below for a list of past successful candidates.) York Fellows and Visiting scholars are expected to participate in the activities of the College and contribute to fulfilling its mission.
There are no application forms, but interested individuals are asked to submit a letter outlining their sabbatical or other leave plans, providing their detailed reasons for wishing to be at Massey College, with their up-to-date curriculum vitae to ORS, by Monday, January 12, 2015. Please submit the letter and curriculum vitae via e-mail to Mala Thakoor at email@example.com. Applications for both the Fellowship or the Visiting Scholarships will be considered by the Major Awards Advisory Committee (MAAC) and applicants may be invited for an interview at Massey College. Results are expected to be announced in March 2015.
Contact: Mala Thakoor
Deadline: Friday, November 28, 2014 by 4:30pm
Objective: The York University President’s Research Excellence Award recognizes senior established, full-time, active faculty members at the rank of Professor, with distinguished scholarly achievements who have had a notable impact on their field(s) and made a significant contribution to advancing the University’s international reputation for research excellence while significantly and positively contributing to one or more aspects of the York community’s intellectual life.
Value: $10,000 internal research grant deposited to the recipient’s generic research cost centre
Contact: Terry Carter
Director, Research Grants
Office of Research Services
Kaneff Tower, Fifth Floor
4700 Keele Street
Toronto, ON M3J 1P3
Tel: 416.736.2100 x 88859