BMus (Laurier), Adv. Cert. Perf. (UofT), MMus (Duquesne), MISt (UofT)
Toronto, ON M3J 1P3
Tel: +1-416-736-2100 ext. 20461
As the cataloguing librarian for music materials in the Bibliographic Services department at York University Libraries I get to work with lots of different kinds of music, from classical, to pop, to traditional musics from around the world, to music difficult to put in any category. I am concerned with increasing access to materials and knowledge via formal and informal methods of classification and organisation while being sensitive to the resulting issues and problems which necessarily result. I am also involved in a number of iniatives in the libraries, including the Scholarly Communication Initiative and initiatives involving emerging information technologies. In 2007 I began work in toward a PhD in Humanities here at York.
My research interests follow several different paths, but intersect at music, knowledge organisation, performance and the body, and philsophical approaches to questions concerning technology. Currently I am exploring ideas around music's relationship with sexuality and love.
- "Investigating the Value of Scholarly Book Reviews for the Work of Academic Reference Librarians". The Journal of Academic Librarianship 32.5 (2006): 452-66. Co-authored with: J. Dilevko (Principal author), B. McMillan, C. Mauro, J. Aspinall. doi:10.1016/j.acalib.2006.07.001 ISSN 0099-1333
- "The Canadian Music Centre and the Digital Delivery of Scores". CAML Review Vol. 33: No. 1-2 (2005) ISSN 1708-6701
Selected Other Writing
- "One Big Library Unconference" with William Denton (York University) AccessOLA Winter 2009. ISSN 1201-0472
- "Scholr 2.0: a white paper by Scholars Portage" Co-authored with Mita Williams (University of Windsor). 2007
- "Frank Welsman: Canadian Conductor" CAML Review, Vol 34, No 3 (2006) ISSN 1708-6701
- "Traveling Music: Playing Back the Soundtrack to My Life and Times" CAML Review Vol 33, No 3 (2005) ISSN 1708-6701
- Naked Voices and Musical Money Shots: Exploring the Encoded Sounds of Sexual Pleasure. Pop Conference, Experience Music Project, Seattle, WA, 2009.
- One Big Library. with William Denton (York University). Ontario Library Association annual meeting, Toronto, ON, 2008.
- Scholr 2.0 Revisited. Scholars Portal Day, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, 2008.
- Through the Looking Glass: FRBR, RDA and Music. with Alastair Boyd (University of Toronto) Canadian Association of Music Libraries annual conference, Vancouver, B.C., 2008.
- Exposing the Secret Life of the Love Song: Musical Representations of Love in Rufus Wainwright's 'This Love Affair'. International Association for the Study of Popular Music, Canada Chapter, annual conference, St. Catherines, ON, 2008.
- The Sound of the Crowd: Music & Social Tagging. Music Vocabularies and Subject Access session, Music Library Association annual meeting, Newport, RI, 2008.
- Scholar's Portage: Leveraging Social Networking Tools and Scholars Portal Data. with Alan Darnell, (Scholars Portal). Ontario Library Association annual meeting, Toronto, ON, 2008.
- Scholr 2.0. with Mita Williams (University of Windsor) Scholars Portal Day, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, 2007.
- AAAA@York: Acquiring and Accessing the Avant and the Alt. with R. van der Bliek (York University) Canadian Association of Music Libraries annual conference, Toronto, ON, 2006.
- Convener. Affect, Identity, Moving Image: Humans on Film. The Inhuman: Investigating Continental Thought in the Humanities. CCGES Graduate Student Conference, York University, Toronto, ON, 2008.
- Panelist.Research Roundtable. Joint Roundtable Session at the annual meeting, Canadian Association of Music Libraries, Canadian University Music Society, Vancouver, B.C., 2008.
- Convener. Delivering Digitally at the CMC and CBC. Canadian Association of Music Libraries, Canadian University Music Society annual meeting, Toronto, ON, 2006.
- Panelist. The Composer in Today's Marketplace. Joint Roundtable Session at the annual meeting, Canadian Association of Music Libraries, Canadian University Music Society, Lethbridge, AB, 2004.