ATTENTION FOLKS! Our SASSL Volunteer Applications are now available to complete online! Once you download and fill out the application, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org, NOT our general email at email@example.com. Please be aware that applications will be due on January 7, 2014 for our Winter 2014 term!
SASSL is looking for enthusiastic folks with an understanding (or a willingness to learn!) about feminism and anti-oppression. Our volunteers come from diverse communities and are committed to supporting survivors of sexual violence and eradicating sexual violence in our communities.
- Have great communication skills and/or enjoy delivering outreach workshops and presentations
- Want hands-on experience with organizing and planning events
- Want to participate in community initiatives geared towards improving support services and increasing awareness of sexual violence
- Have/want experience in budgeting and/or accounting
- Have experience or are interested in policy development and campus safety
- Want to use your design flair to create promotional material and publicity campaigns
- Believe in supporting survivors of sexual violence from a feminist, anti-oppressive, non-judgmental and pro-diverse framework
- Are passionate about making a difference at York University and beyond…
Then SASSL wants you!
How will you benefit?
- Receive training in areas crucial to supporting survivors such as active listening, anti oppression, anti-racism and more!
- Network with community members and groups on and off campus to develop your leadership capacities
- Be a part of a dynamic, supportive organization – improve your teamwork and interpersonal skills
- Learn about different resources and support services in the Greater Toronto Area
- Support survivors, challenge rape culture, and end the silence that surrounds sexual violence by further developing your critical analysis skills
- Gain an understanding of how we can create safer spaces and healthier relationships with ourselves and others in our lives
What do SASSL Volunteers do?
The support line:
Working on the phone line is our top priority and our main service to the community. Here volunteers can gain valuable experience listening and offering support and giving referrals to callers on the line. All volunteers are fully trained to take calls through the mandatory training days.
The support line is a crucial service, but people cannot access it if they don’t know that SASSL exists. For this reason, while answering the phone is our primary service, much of your volunteer time will be spent participating in awareness-building activities such as creating events, tabling, postering, and participating in outreach and discussions.
Want to practice your public speaking skills? Be a part of the outreach team and help in educating our community about sexual assault and violence. All volunteers have the opportunity to participate in the outreach program, where we deliver educational workshops on sexual violence to high schools, organizations, and colleges in the community. We also hold tabling outreach throughout the year.
In conjunction with our support and referral service as well as our community outreach, we also give back to the community through our special events. Each year we host a variety of FREE events, such as comedy shows, movie nights, art shows, guest lectures, fundraising events, and most popularly, Wen-Do, a woman’s only self defense class. All volunteers are encouraged to help out with events, and even have the opportunity to come up with and organize their own event for SASSL.
How do I become a SASSL Volunteer?
If you want to be a part of this dynamic team, and have the time to commit 4 hours per week to SASSL, you are welcome to apply.
Upon acceptance you will be required to attend all three mandatory training days: September 28, 29 and October 5
Submit your completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday September 9th, 2013!
SASSL runs volunteer training twice a year. If you miss the cut-off in September please apply in January 2014.
Questions? Please email email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you!!
Thank you for your interest in SASSL!
For news about our events and opportunities, sign up for our listserv on the left-hand side of this page!