Part of SASSL’s mission is to build awareness about issues of sexual assault and abuse in order to end the silence and the cycle of violence. SASSL works passionately to create a positive space, organizing various fun and educational activities both on campus and off.
For the first time EVER, SASSL was able to plan and give interactive yet informative presentations during Frosh Week, thanks to SASSL’s Networking/Internal Outreach Coordinator Natasha Dookie.
SASSL was present at OTL (Orient the Leaders) training for frosh leaders where SASSL provided guidelines to frosh leaders and college councils on how they should deal with sexual assault and/or harassment if they should occur during the week. SASSL was present at Winter’s college-specific frosh boss training and SASSL gave presentations to Bethune, McLaughlin, and New College during frosh week. We would like to thank these colleges’ orientation chairs and councils for taking an interest in such a vital issue. We received a lot of positive feedback from students.
During the school year SASSL’s Internal Outreach team was able to outreach at various campus events and residences some of which included Don Training, Safety Awareness Day, Sociology student group conference, Pond, Vanier and Bethune residence presentations. SASSL was also able to network with various student groups and administration such as the York Federation of Students, TBLGAY, Centre for Human Rights, Student Community Leadership and Development and various college councils.
If you would like to schedule a SASSL outreach on the York U campus (Internal), whether in residence, at a conference, or event, please email:
Networking/Internal Outreach Coordinator
For the first time EVER, SASSL was able to plan and give presentations to a number of high schools in the Toronto District School Board, thanks to SASSL’s External Outreach Coordinator Adanna Phillip and her team of External Outreach volunteers.
We would like to thank the following schools/organizations for supporting SASSL outreaches:
- R.H. King Academy (September 2011)
- Central Technical Collegiate Institute (December 2011)
- Redwood Community Fair (December 2011)
- West End Alternative Secondary School (February 2012)
- BELOVED Conference (March 2012)
- Humberside Collegiate Institute (March 2012)
- Woodbridge College (April 2012)
- (H.E.Y.Y) Hearing Every Youth through Youth (April 2012)
If you would like to schedule a SASSL outreach outside the York University community (External) whether in a high school, workplace, or another organization, please email:
External Outreach Coordinator
SASSL demonstrates leadership and commitment to survivors and the community by providing support and raising awareness about sexual assault and gender based violence. SASSL is actively involved in the community and is represented on various committees including:
- Can I Kiss You? Planning Committee
- Community Safety Council (CSC)
- CSC Student Representatives Group
- Gender Based Violence Prevention group
- Safety Campaign Working Group
- Safety Audit Standing Committee
- Safety Awareness Day group
- Sexual Assault Initiatives Committee
- Women and Trans Safety Committee
For any inquiries regarding community initiatives or SASSL’s committee involvement, please contact:
Community Initiatives Coordinator