SASSL Events, 2010-2011
We were really busy this year!
- Frosh Week: “Can I Kiss You?” with Michael Domitrz. In collaboration with the Centre For Human Rights and the colleges of York.
- Halloween Candy Drive
- Trans Remembrance Day – November 20th: SASSL created a memorial in Vari Hall to remember trans people around the world who have lost their lives to senseless transphobic acts of violence.
- December 6th National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women: We continued our wildly successful pledge campaign from last year and displayed it in Vari Hall.
- Valentine’s Day Candy Drive
- International Women’s WEEK – SASSL took it to another level! One day is simply not enough to celebrate womyn and all our strenghs and accomplishments. We organized an entire week of empowering and exciting events at York.
- March 3rd to March 11th - SASSL sold tons of International Women’s Day cards! All proceeds from card sales were donated to Nellie’s Women Shelter. We also collected donations of any toiletry, feminine, baby products or canned food, also donated to Nellie’s Women Shelter.
- March 5th/6th - WEN-DO, the successful and always in demand free self defense class for women of all ages, sizes and abilities!
- March 7th - Voices Rising, a spoken word show organized by the Centre for Human Rights.
- March 8th – Another WEN-DO session!
- March 11th – We concluded International Women’s Week with our second annual HeART Show!
- Raised $500+ for Nellie’s Women’s Shelter and collected toiletries and food as well.
- Free admission and free food!
- Featuring talented performers and beautiful artwork.
- Outreaches: Bethune Residence
- Participation: Sexual Assault Initiatives Committee, Women and Trans Campus Safety Grant Committee, Men Talking to Men About Violence Against Women, the Gender Violence Eradication Project at York, SlutWalk, Toronto Rape Crisis Centre’s 30th Annual Take Back The Night, York Health Fair, Yorkfest 2010, Frosh Week.
2009 – 2010 was such a wonderful year!
This year SASSL:
- Commemorated the 20th anniversary of the Montreal Massacre
- December 6th National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women
- Collected almost 1000 pledges of action to end violence against women
- Hosted Wen Do (women’s self defence)
- Speak Your heART Out! Spoken word/poetry jam
- Raised $350 for Nellie’s Women’s Shelter
- Collaborated on the Conference for International Women’s Day
- The Bathtub Project
- Collected toiletries for women’s shelters with Hillel
- Outreach education in
- Frosh kits, Don Training, Don Info Fair Tabling, Frosh Boss Training, Pond Road Info Fair, Glendon Clubs Day, Yorkfest 2009, OPIRG Dis/Orientation, outreach workshops in Pond Road Residence, Winters Residence, Founders Residence, Workshop at Sisters of Colour Collective, Table at Toronto Rape Crisis Centre – Take Back the Night, HEYY Helpline Eastend Youth SASSL training workshop, York Healthfair, Glendon Clubs Day, HealthEd Health Fair, NGO fair, in-class presentation in Psychology and Law.
- Recognized as a model and approached by other Ontario universities as a resource for student services related to sexual assault.
- Sat on the Sexual Assault Initiatives Committee (York SCDR), and the panel for the Campus Dialogue on Sexual Assault.
- International Women’s Day! March 8th: SASSL collaborated with other student groups to organize a conference focused on accessibilty to education for women and girls.
- Speak your heART out! At the Toronto Free Gallery
SASSL raised $350 for Nellie’s Women Shelter!
Thank you so much for all your support!
We were honoured to discover so much talent in spoken word, poetry, and music by:
Lishai Peel – spoken word
Maryam R. Shirazi – spoken word
Dashua – spoken word
Alana Polachok-Cook – spoken word
Brescia Birdthroat Bloodbeard – spoken word
Sabrina Friedman – singer
Michelle Ramos – artist
- Wen-Do: A two-day session of women’s self defence
- Wen-Do: A two-day session of women’s self defence was a total success!
- Empowering Women of all Ages, Sizes and Abilities!
- FREE, Refreshments provided
December 6th 2009 was the 20th anniversary of the Montreal Massacre when a 25 year-old man walked into the University of Montreal’s Ecole Polytechnique and gunned down 28 people, murdering 13 female students and one staff member, just because they were women.
In collaboration with over 70 people from SASSL, the Centre for Human Rights, and the Faculty of Fine Arts, and York students, faculty, and staff took a stand!
- SASSL collected almost 1000 pledges of action from students all over York University
- They were displayed as part of an art installation in Vari Hall on Monday Dec. 7th, followed by a march through the campus and libraries, and a screening of director Denis Villeneuve’s 2009 dramatic film “Polytechnique”
Thank you for a great 2008-2009 year!
Despite the ups and downs of the strike, SASSL continued to produce many highly successful events. From collecting toiletries for a local women’s shelter, to hosting a comedy sex-show, to mobilizing the artists among us in celebration of strength and survival, here is a highlight of SASSL’s latest accomplishments:
- Halloween candy drive: Exposing myths & facts about sexual assault
- Valentine’s Day candy drive: Promoting safer sex
- “Lessons From a 7 Ft. Penis” by Norman Nawrocki: The Anti-Sexist Sex Show: No Topic Left Untouched
- V-Day benefit film screening of “What I Want My Words to Do to You”
- Powerful Women’s Writing from Bedford Correctional Facility
- Performances by Glenn Close, Rosie Perez and Marissa Tomei
- Pay-what-you-can donation to the Elizabeth Fry Society
Two sessions of Wen Do: Women’s Self-Defence
- EnCORE collective art show at the Toronto Free Gallery
- Encourage survivors, Celebrate strength, Offer support, Raise awareness, & End violence
- SASSL Participation
- York Day Information Fair
- Yorkfest 2008
- METRAC Safety Audit & stakeholders meetings
- The December 6th National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women
- The Centre for Human Rights at York
- The Bathtub Project, collecting toiletries for a women’s shelter
- Hillel, the foundation for Jewish student life at York
- York Healthfair
- Glendon International Women’s Day
- Non-Governmental Organization fair at York
- Anti-Racist task-force tabling