Appointment of the Chair of the Board of Governors, Procedure Governing the
Notes: Approved by the Board of Governors: 1995/05/15; Date Effective: 1995/05/15; Revised and Approved by the Board of Governors: 2008/12/02
Approval Authority: Board of Governors
Signature: "Marshall Cohen"
Section 8 of the York University Act reads as follows:"The Board shall elect from its membership a chairman who shall hold office for a term of seven years and who shall be eligible for re-election for one further term."Article VII, section 6 of the By-Laws of the Board indicates:"The Board shall elect the Chair and Vice-Chair from among its external members."
A. Procedures for the Appointment of a Chair
- In September in the last year of the Chair's term, or as soon as possible where the position of Chair falls vacant for any reason, the Secretary of the Board shall inform members of the Board of the vacancy and of the procedures governing the appointment of a Chair and shall invite members to suggest the name(s) of those external members of the Board who should be considered for the position. This invitation will also request members to identify the qualities and attributes which the next Chair should possess given the anticipated requirements of the position in the years ahead.
- The retiring Chair together with the President and the Chair of the Governance and Human Resources Committee shall nominate for Board approval members of the Board to form a Selection Advisory Committee to propose the name of a new Chair.
- Members asked to serve on the Selection Advisory Committee shall not normally be eligible for consideration for the position of Chair of the Board.
- The comments and suggestions of Board members shall be reviewed by the Selection Advisory Committee and all such comments and suggestions shall be held in confidence. The Committee will meet individually with the retiring Chair and the President to obtain their views.
- The Selection Advisory Committee shall propose to an in camera session normally at the December meeting of the Board in the last year of the Chair's term, the name of an external member of the Board to be Chair. The member so proposed will be invited to be absent from the session. The Board will either confirm the individual proposed or invite the Committee to reconsider the matter and to propose another name.
Associated Guideline 1: Guideline on the Term of the Chair of the Board of Governors
In accordance with the York Act, the Board “shall elect from its membership a chairman who shall hold office for a term of seven years and who shall be eligible for re-election for one further term.” Two successive Advisory Selection Committees expressed strong views that the seven year term prescribed by the York Act is neither ideal for succession planning nor for attracting potential nominees to the position.
Associated Guideline 2: Guideline on the Role and Appointment of the Vice-Chair(s) of the Board of Governors.