Welcome to the York Subway Extension web page.
The Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension is a $2.6 billion project, fully funded by the Federal, Provincial, and Municipal governments, which will extend the TTC subway system from Downsview Subway Station to the City of Vaughan, with two stations on campus: York University and Steeles West. The subway’s arrival will alter the York experience, vastly improve how thousands of people commute daily, and will integrate York more fully into its surrounding communities.
Advance construction works have already commenced on and around campus and will continue through the fall in preparation for the start of tunneling and station construction in January 2011. As the project advances, the intensity of construction activity will increase and will cause disruption on campus and in the immediate vicinity. At all stages of the project, every possible effort will be made to communicate effectively with the community about construction progress.
- York Blvd south arm in front of Schulich widened and diverted (completed)
- Diversion road built through The Harry W. Arthurs Common to allow bus traffic to access The Harry W. Arthurs Common loop during construction (completed)
- Detour road through York Blvd Parking Lot, connecting Ian Macdonald Blvd at Vanier Lane with York Blvd at the signalized intersection of the TTC Busway (Oct/Nov 2010)
- Closure of Ian Macdonald between Vanier Lane and Fine Arts Road (commencing early 2011)
- Closure of Northwest Gate roadway (commencing Jan 2011)
- Access from southwest corner of York Blvd Parking Lot to The Harry W. Arthurs Common via a designated route between two construction sites protected with hoarding (Jan – June 2011)
- Access to York Research Tower: south entrance doors facing the Harry W. Arthurs Common will be inaccessible; entry via east entrance doors facing York Blvd Parking Lot (Jan – June 2011) or via York Lanes at the second level connection
- Access around York University Station construction site: along north perimeter of hoarding or along south perimeter of hoarding adjacent to Schulich (Jan-June 2011)
- Bus service will continue to the Harry W. Arthurs Common throughout construction via the temporary diversion road recently completed through the Common (Jan 2011)
- VIVA transit stops will be relocated north of Vanier Lane on the east and west sides of Ian Macdonald Blvd (Jan 2011)
- YRT transit stops will be relocated north of Vanier Lane on the east side of Ian Macdonald Blvd, with the exception of YRT 22A, which will be relocated south of York Blvd on the west side of Ian Macdonald Blvd. beside Accolade East (Jan 2011)
- Brampton ZUM transit stop will be relocated north of Chimneystack Road on the east side of Ian Macdonald Blvd. (Jan 2011)
- Northwest Gate Parking lot will be closed for the Steeles West Station construction (Jan 2011)
- Northwest Gate roadway will be converted into a temporary parking lot for day parking (built Nov 2010, opening Jan 2011)
- York Blvd Parking lot: at least 3 rows of parking at the west end of the lot will be used for contractor staging area (Jan 2011)
- New temporary parking lot for permit parking to be built at east side of Harry Crowe Housing Co-op on Chimneystack Road (built Nov 2010 opening Jan 2011)
- Vanier Parking Lot to be upgraded with passenger drop off and pick up area (completed Jan 2011)