The Division of Students encourages and supports the open exchange of ideas. As social media sites are (predominantly) public, all content will be courteous, supportive, accurate and professional. All content will relate directly to the Divisional and Unit social media mission and goals. Social Media users are asked to help the Division of Students keep its social media assets a valuable and enjoyable information resource by engaging with content, becoming part of our online community and by notifying the Division of any offending messages or other violations of these Terms.
Note: In all instances the Division of Students aligns with and strives to follow the Terms of Service agreements of the social media sites used.
Division of Students Social Media reserves the right to modify the Terms at any time, effective upon posting of the modified Terms on the Division of Students website. The Division of Students also reserves the right to apply, waive, or modify these Terms as they apply to a specific posting and user without affecting the application of these Terms to all other postings and users.
The term "posting" means, (but is not limited to), any text, links, images, videos, communications, opinions, software, data, or other content a person provides on any Division of Students Social Media, which includes (but is not limited to): message boards, chats, blogs, walls, timelines, channels, or otherwise. The use of Division of Students Social Media assets, or any materials or services accessible through it, after a posting or notification regarding modifications to the Terms constitutes acceptance of those modifications. The violation of any Terms may result in the suspension or termination of access or use of Division of Students Social Media assets.
Participating in Division of Students Social Media assets
The Division of Students Social Media assets are intended to provide participants with the opportunity to exchange useful and helpful information. All participants must be above the age of 14.
Division of Students Social Media assets may edit or remove any posting it considers, at its sole discretion, to violate the Terms.
Users of Division of Students Social Media assets are responsible for exercising careful and appropriate judgment in evaluating and taking action based on other participants' postings on said Division of Students Social Media assets. Users of Division of Students Social Media assets agree that the York University is not responsible for the accuracy of the content of Division of Students Social Media assets and will not be held liable for any damages incurred as a result of participant use in any such content. Participants may post hypertext links to content hosted and maintained by third parties as long as those links contain appropriate content as per the "Posting to Division of Students Social Media assets" section below. The Division of Students Social Media assets has no obligation to monitor other linked sites and is in no way responsible for the content on them. Accessing any such hyperlinked sites is at the user's own risk.
Posting to Division of Students Social Media assets
Users of the Division of Students Social Media assets agree not to upload, post, or otherwise transmit any inappropriate content (text, links, communications, software, images, videos, sounds, data, etc.) that includes:
- Any personal information, such as: full name, address, phone number, personal email address, and student identification numbers, belonging either to the poster or another person;
- Spam, such as: website or service advertisements, commercial solicitations, chain letters, or pyramid schemes;
- "Flooding," such as excessive posting, padding posts, or cross-posting;
- "Bombing," such as repetitive, meaningless or unrelated postings;
- Profanity, and material that is libelous, fraudulent, unlawful, defamatory, pornographic, obscene, profane, abusive, offensive, threatening, hateful, or otherwise objectionable;
- Discussion of illegal activities or providing links to other websites containing such information;
- Discussions that veer off topic, are unrelated to resolving the issue at hand, or abuse York University, it's students, staff and programs. Division of Students units use social media to further their mandate (i.e. admissions, club support, sport & recreation, etc.) therefore discussions outside the expressed mandate of each social media asset are not permitted.
- Discussions about student or staff performance or student records;
- Posting of material which violates any party's copyright or intellectual property rights;
- Posting or transmitting any information or software containing a virus, worm, Trojan horse, or other damaging or destructive components;
- Posting a link directing users to any information or content that, if posted on Division of Students Social Media assets, would constitute a violation of the Terms or violates the Criminal Code of Canada or is discriminatory under the Ontario Human Rights Code;
- Attacking (aka "Flaming") another user or entity in such a way as to incite or perpetuate an argument or conflict. This includes creating usernames to attack other users' identities, impersonating other individuals or falsely representing one's identity or qualifications, posts made under secondary user names or other aliases for the purpose of either endorsing or denigrating others, and posts that breach any participant's privacy by including name, address, phone, email address, or any other identifying information.
Users are required to know and follow the Terms and Conditions for Facebook and all other social media networks. For example, content posted may become the property of the social media network used. Should the Division of Students wish to reproduce, distribute, publish, and display content posted on the Division of Students Social Media assets, the poster will be contacted for permission.
Students, graduates and alumni of York University are required to know and follow the Student Code of Rights & Responsibilities.
The Division of Students does not recommend users post personally identifiable information in any social media property. Any information posted on Division of Students Social Media assets is at the user's own risk. The Division of Students respects and protects the privacy of its website users. However, please note that information posted on Division of Students Social Media assets is not protected and can be easily obtained and used by others.
The Division of Students reserves the right to manage the postings on any of its Division of Students Social Media assets to provide an orderly and accurate presentation of information. To effectively manage Division of Students Social Media assets, the Division of Students may designate staff or others to act as "site representatives" for its assets. The Division of Students is not responsible for content provided by any Division of Students Social Media assets staff who are not designated as a site representatives.
Modification and Discontinuance
The Division of Students reserves the right at any time to delete, modify, suspend, or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, Division of Students Social Media assets with or without notice. Social Media users agree that the Division of Students will not be liable to users or third parties for any modification, suspension, or discontinuance of Division of Students Social Media assets.
A social media user's privilege to utilize or access Division of Students Social Media assets may be terminated by the Division of Students immediately and without notice if the user fails to comply with any term or condition of the Terms. Upon such termination, the user must immediately cease accessing or utilizing Division of Students Social Media assets and agree not to re-register or otherwise make use of Division of Students Social Media assets. Furthermore, the user acknowledges that the Division of Students reserves the right to take action -- technical, legal, or otherwise -- to block, nullify or deny the user's ability to access Division of Students Social Media assets. If any provision of the Terms is invalid or unenforceable under applicable law, then it is to be, to that extent, deemed omitted, and the remaining provisions will continue in full force. The user understands that the Division of Students may exercise this right in its sole discretion.
Office of Vice-Provost Students
Location: N303, Bennett Centre for Student Services